Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2960S StackWise/Stacking

hi all,

we have a bunch of 2960-S switches on a site that we want to stack.

my question is, is it ok just to connect the stackwise cable accordingly, boot up the master switch first, backup next, and member last?

or would it be 'best' practice to put the switch x priority y command?

also, all switches have IP addresses for remote management already configured.

do we remove the IP address (for member) and retain only for the master/backup switch?

• LAN Switching and Routing
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
VIP Super Bronze

Hi,I usually add priority, so

Hi,

I usually add priority, so I know which switch is master and which member switch will take over if the master goes down.

So, if I have 3 switches in a stack with master at the top.

switch 1 priority 15 (master)

switch 2 priority 12 (member)

switch 3 priority 10 (member)

and yes you can delete all the other mgmt IP addresses except the one on the master.  You only one IP for the entire stack

HTH

Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

When you stack switches, there's only one logical switch, i.e. you cannot have an IP dedicated to a switch member.

As to setting switch priorities, keep in mind, it's not preemptive.  Also, as generally all models have  the same performance, there's no benefit in "picking" a master for that.  However, at least on the 3750 series, Cisco recommends setting the stack master (if possible) such that it doesn't also host stack uplinks.

9 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

Hi,I usually add priority, so

Hi,

I usually add priority, so I know which switch is master and which member switch will take over if the master goes down.

So, if I have 3 switches in a stack with master at the top.

switch 1 priority 15 (master)

switch 2 priority 12 (member)

switch 3 priority 10 (member)

and yes you can delete all the other mgmt IP addresses except the one on the master.  You only one IP for the entire stack

HTH

hi reza,thanks for you quick

hi reza,

thanks for your quick response!

one last thing, do we keep the IP address for the backup switch just in case the master goes down?

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

When you stack switches, there's only one logical switch, i.e. you cannot have an IP dedicated to a switch member.

As to setting switch priorities, keep in mind, it's not preemptive.  Also, as generally all models have  the same performance, there's no benefit in "picking" a master for that.  However, at least on the 3750 series, Cisco recommends setting the stack master (if possible) such that it doesn't also host stack uplinks.

hi joseph,thanks for your

hi joseph,

thanks for your response!

i mentioned on my original post that these switches were already configured (with VLANs and IP management).

could we connect the stackwise cables first, remove IP address on stack members and reboot switches sequentially (starting with master)?

i'm just going to ask a technician onsite to insert the these cables and do remote config.

VIP Super Bronze

Hi John,It may not work the

Hi John,

It may not work the way you described it, as when you stack the switches they all logically become one switch and all the other switches inherit the config from the master.  I would recommend that you back up all the current configs, have an outage window, build your stack completely and then load the config to the master.

There is no really easy way to do this without downtime, so you need an outage window.

HTH

hi reza,i just did a backup

hi reza,

i just did a backup of the switch config.

i saw a docu where we could pre-provision member switch.

switch 2 provision ws-2960-xx

int g2/0/x

then configure ports accordingly.

VIP Super Bronze

Hi John,As far as I know that

Hi John,

As far as I know that provisioning is for new switches and not existing in production once. I could be wrong and it would not the firs time smiley

Anyway.  The reason I am saying you need to have downtime to prevision the switches correctly is because the port numbering changes.

So, for example: if you have 3 switches that are not stacked, the ports usually starts from 1/0/1 to 1/0/24 or 48 for each switch

Now, once you stack the same 3 switches, switch 1 port 10 will be 1/0/10 and switch 2 port 10 will be 2/0/10 and switch 3 port 10 will be 3/0/10. So all the port numbering and config will change.

Reza

thanks reza and joseph!your

thanks reza and joseph!

your inputs were highly appreciated.

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

I haven't worked with 2960 stacks, but on the 3750 stacks, preprovisioning allows you to configure ports for switch members not actually active.  When the switch is added to the stack, it will immediately use the preprovisioned configuration.

The stack member to be added, can be completely "clean" or it might be "clean" but configured with a stack member number.  (The former, I recall, will take the first available set of preprovisioned information, the latter will take only the preprovisioned information for the member number set.)

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.