Views
Helpful
Replies

2960S Switch Selection

avilt
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I am in the process of procuring Cisco 2960S switches (24/48 ports) for data centers.

All I need is 100/1000 mbps support with less than 10 vlans. Can I choose LAN lite model instead of LAN Base?

Whats is the difference between SFP * 2 and SFP+ * 2

Thank You

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

avilt wrote:

Hello,

I am in the process of procuring Cisco 2960S switches (24/48 ports) for data centers.

All I need is 100/1000 mbps support with less than 10 vlans. Can I choose LAN lite model instead of LAN Base?

Thank You

Yes you can if that is all you need although bear in mind LAN Base supports Flexstack technoology which is similiar to Stackwise on the 3750 models so if you want to stack these switches LAN Base would be a better choice.

SFP+ is gigabit module that can run at either 1Gbps or 10Gbps. So it allows flexibility and scalability for the future ie. if you only need to uplink your switches at 1Gbps at the moment then you can but if in the future you need 10Gbps uplinks then you do not have to buy new hardware. This functionality is only available with LAN Base and not LAN Lite, although not all LAN Base switches have it.

Also be aware that the LAN Base supports redudant power supplies which in a DC is a desirable thing to have.

You should definitely go through the datasheets for both LAN LITE and LAN BASE to ensure that you get what you need -

2960S datasheets

Edit - also bear in mind that the 2960S is not positioned by Cisco as a DC switch. This doesn't mean you can't use them there but you need to be careful as to exactly what you connect into these switches and what type of performance you are expecting from them.

Jon

View solution in original post

Also be aware that the LAN Base supports redudant power supplies which in a DC is a desirable thing to have.

The 2960S won't support dual power supplies.  IT will, however, support AC and/or DC.

LAN Base supports Flexstack technoology which is similiar to Stackwise on the 3750

Similar but with a lot of purposely built limitation:

1.  Flexstack technology has a maximum limit of 10Gb half duplex.

2.  Maximum 2960S switches that can be stacked is 4.

If Layer 2-only is what you need, then 2960S just doesn't have the "umph".  If you require top-of-rack (ToR) switch then consider the

Cisco Catalyst 2350 Series Switches or Cisco Catalyst 2360 Series Switches

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

avilt wrote:

Hello,

Thank You

Yes you can if that is all you need although bear in mind LAN Base supports Flexstack technoology which is similiar to Stackwise on the 3750 models so if you want to stack these switches LAN Base would be a better choice.

SFP+ is gigabit module that can run at either 1Gbps or 10Gbps. So it allows flexibility and scalability for the future ie. if you only need to uplink your switches at 1Gbps at the moment then you can but if in the future you need 10Gbps uplinks then you do not have to buy new hardware. This functionality is only available with LAN Base and not LAN Lite, although not all LAN Base switches have it.

You should definitely go through the datasheets for both LAN LITE and LAN BASE to ensure that you get what you need -

2960S datasheets

Edit - also bear in mind that the 2960S is not positioned by Cisco as a DC switch. This doesn't mean you can't use them there but you need to be careful as to exactly what you connect into these switches and what type of performance you are expecting from them.

Jon

The 2960S won't support dual power supplies.  IT will, however, support AC and/or DC.

LAN Base supports Flexstack technoology which is similiar to Stackwise on the 3750

Similar but with a lot of purposely built limitation:

1.  Flexstack technology has a maximum limit of 10Gb half duplex.

2.  Maximum 2960S switches that can be stacked is 4.

If Layer 2-only is what you need, then 2960S just doesn't have the "umph".  If you require top-of-rack (ToR) switch then consider the

Cisco Catalyst 2350 Series Switches or Cisco Catalyst 2360 Series Switches

Is there any big cost difference between C2960S vs 2350/2360 switches?

My current model is IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M) which is EOL.

I hope performance wise C2960S is OK for me. I need to have a uplink between only two 48 ports switches, rest all are independent.(no cascade/uplink)

Kindly advice.

Is there any big cost difference between C2960S vs 2350/2360 switches?

Thanks for the ratings.  Cost will depend entirely on the authorized Cisco reseller.  Unfortunately, I can't answer this question.

One more thing ... When purchasing the 2960S, remember that the stacking cable and stacking module are all OPTIONAL.  If you don't specify and purchase it you'll just get the switch with the rack mounting kits and power cable of your country.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card