Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960s switch stack IOS upgrade

I was just curious about something with upgrading a 2960s stack.

To copy the image to the switches in the stack I use:

Switch# archive download-sw tftp://x.x.x.x/filename

Does this also set the image as the boot image or do I still need to issue the boot system flash command?

can I just issue this command on the master switch and reload and the new config will be pushed to the rest of the switches?

Thanks

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I understand that the image will unpack to all the switches in the stack, but if I were to keep the old image as a rollback measure, would i need to use the boot system command on all switches to set the boot image or just on the master and the config will be pushed to the other switches?

Correct.  Set the "boot system flash:" in the master and the master will synchronize the config to all the members of the stack.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Does this also set the image as the boot image or do I still need to issue the boot system flash command?

Depends.  How many IOS do you have in the switch. If you have one, then you don't need the boot statement.  If you have more than one then you do.

The command "archive download-sw" will download the file into the switch memory, unpatch (un-zip), and change the boot string.

Thanks for your reply.

So in the case where I do not delete the existing IOS image I would need to issue the boot system command?

Also can I issue this on the master and it will be replicated to the other switches or will I have to issue the command on all switches in the stack?

--

The command is "generic" which means the IOS will be unpacked to ALL the switches in the same stack.

If you want to delete the old IOS then issue the "/overwrite".

I understand that the image will unpack to all the switches in the stack, but if I were to keep the old image as a rollback measure, would i need to use the boot system command on all switches to set the boot image or just on the master and the config will be pushed to the other switches?

Thanks again for your help

--

Correct.  Set the "boot system flash:" in the master and the master will synchronize the config to all the members of the stack.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco