Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3524XL can't access any traffic from Gigabit 0/1 port over fiber

Sorry if I am posting to wrong forum.

We have Cisco 3524XL switch, MOtorola AXS1800 chassis. I am configuring this cisco switch so I can connect AXS1800 traffic thru cisco 3524XL, on switch port gigabit 0/1, I am using cisco Part no. WS-G5486 (1000Base-LX) connector to connect to AXS1800, both port are member of vlan 200 allowed, and configured  dhcp-server 192.168.0.1, but still I can't ping any host or host can't get DHCP server.

can some one help?  let me know what I am missing.

I have attached my config file for your review.

Thank you.

25 Replies 25

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

hi,

Vlan 200 is shutdown

interface VLAN200

ip address 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.0

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

shutdown

under the vlan do this:

no sh

then save and try again.

wr

HTH

Thanks for help,

i have assign a no shutdown on vlan 200, but still itr is not coming up. any more idea?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A number of questions come to mind. Where are you pinging from ?  Where is the motorola box plugged into ? If g0/1 , is the motorola box capable of trunking like you have it setup ?    Did you create the layer 2 vlan in the vlan database?  You have multiple SVI's configured . You cannot do this as the SVI is to manage the 3524 only.  The 3524 is a layer 2 switch only and cannot do dhcp  either .  Where is the dhcp server located ?  Who is doing the routing between the vlan 1 address space and the vlan 200 address space , is there an external layer 3 router or switch doing the actual routing and where does that connect to the 3524 ?  The 3524 cannot do any layer 3 routing which is why you can only have a single SVI active on the box because that is strictly to manage the 3524.

Here how i have setup.

Dlink dir-655 router, cisco 3524XL switch,

now to your quastion,

I am pinging from cisco switch to host behind Motorola switch, Motorola has Gigabit fiber port. i am not sure it has trunk capability, i have created layer 2 vlan, cause both switch are only layer 2 switch, D-link router is doing routing and DHCP- server roll for network, so D-link IP is 192.168.0.1/24

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Errr ... is the other VLAN (other than VLAN 1) created in the VLAN Database yet?

Also, what is the status of the trunk port on the 35xx to AXS? Vlan 200 showing down - may be the trunk is down.

Check the AXS docs on trunk support/config.

Thx

MS

yes i have vlan 200 in vlan database and also assign gigaport0/1  a trunk cli, you can see all in my config file i have attahed here. i am still lost, can any one help? I am loosing time on this issue.

sleepyshark
Level 1
Level 1

Ok.... gi0/1 is a trunk -- is this what you want? I am not seeing any sort of trunk encapsulation?

Simple answer is this:  VLAN200 is an active vlan (if you did the "no shut" command) the problem is that nothing is attached to VLAN200... there are NO interfaces trying to use it.  Cisco gear doesn't respond to traffic if there's nothing attached to it.

Meaning, fix your encapsultion and ensure the trunk is UP and working and you can pass tagged traffic on gi0/1...

if you want to see what I mean, do this:

get rid of all of your switchport commands on gi0/1 and add only switchport access vlan 200.... this means VLAN200 is hard-coded to gi0/1, and you'll be able to ping the IP.....  If that works, you need to look at the motorola side and the cisco side and ensure the trunking is configured properly and that the motorola side has VLAN200 and is trying to pass traffic tagged for that VLAN..

Thanks,

Sean Brown

http://www.sleepyshark.com

Thanks Steve,

I try that but, no luck still I can't ping any thing on Motorola side, I check all setting on Motorola side and all are same and it does do encapsulation dot1q and double tagging, this moment i have allow only dot1q only. here is my current run config

User Access Verification

Password:
gpon-core>en
Password:
gpon-core#show run
Building configuration...

Current configuration:
!
version 12.0
no service pad
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
no service password-encryption
!
hostname gpon-core
!
enable secret 5 $1$nMkI$jPxTT3jXCrqUmRMiZaC.W1
!
!
!
!
!
clock timezone EST -5
!
ip subnet-zero
ip dhcp-server 192.168.0.1
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
!
interface FastEthernet0/2
!
interface FastEthernet0/3
!
interface FastEthernet0/4
!
interface FastEthernet0/5
!
interface FastEthernet0/6
!
interface FastEthernet0/7
!
interface FastEthernet0/8
!
interface FastEthernet0/9
!
interface FastEthernet0/10
!
interface FastEthernet0/11
!
interface FastEthernet0/12
!
interface FastEthernet0/13
!
interface FastEthernet0/14
!
interface FastEthernet0/15
!
interface FastEthernet0/16
!
interface FastEthernet0/17
!
interface FastEthernet0/18
!
interface FastEthernet0/19
!
interface FastEthernet0/20
!
interface FastEthernet0/21
!
interface FastEthernet0/22
!
interface FastEthernet0/23
!
interface FastEthernet0/24
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
port network
switchport access vlan 200
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
!
interface VLAN1
ip address 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0
no ip directed-broadcast
no ip route-cache
!
interface VLAN200
ip address 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0
no ip directed-broadcast
no ip route-cache
shutdown
!
!
line con 0
password cisco
login
transport input none
stopbits 1
line vty 0 4
password cisco
login
line vty 5 15
password cisco
login
!
end

gpon-core#

VLAN200 is still shut down...

do the following:

config t

int vlan 200

no shut

end

wr mem

no good, host behind motorola switch IP: 192.168.0.100, so i am trying to ping 192.168.0.100 from switch, but no replay. so al trafic from motorola port is on vlan 200.

Now we're starting to get confused here.....You're trying to ping 192.168.0.0 network from VLAN200 (on a 192.168.1.0 network)... meaning you'll need to route.... but there are no route statements/routers....

additionally, the other thing that is screwing things up is that VLAN1 is already assigned 192.168.0.0 network....

let's work on ONE issue at a time here.....  we need to establish connectivity on VLAN200 between your switch and your Motorola equip.... meaning, can you give me an IP address on VLAN200 (the 192.168.1.0 network) of the Motorola equipment.  we'll try to troubleshoot this step by step....

Also, are you using VLAN1 for anything??? if not and you're DIRECTLY CONNECTED via CONSOLE CABLE, do this:

config t

int vlan 1

shut

end

wr mem

Sean

vlan 200

Cisco side

IP: 192.168.1.10  vlan 200 allowed on  optical LX media GBIC port 0/1

Motorola side

IP: 192.168.1.3 vlan 200 allowed on optical LX media GBIC port 1

both has enc dot1q since both are not Cisco product.

i am using telnet to connect to cisco swotch, b ut i can use consol if necessary.

vlan 200 still show shutdown

in your config, VLAN200 is assigned a subnet of 192.168.0.0, which is the reason you can't ping 192.168.1.0.... let's do this (you'll probably need the console cable for this one).

First off:

On the motorola equipment, what IP address is assigned on VLAN1 of that equipment (we need to establish basic connecitivty first before we start getting trunking involved).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card