cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3548 Switch gets disconnected

rmathiyalagan
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Ghost cast server and whenever a multicast session from a client starts, this switch gets disconnected and comes back after the session is over. any idea why this happens..

3548 is connected to a 3550 to which the ghost case server is connected. 3 more 2950s are connected to the 3550 from where the client sessions gets intiated.

Trunk port config given below:-

3550:-

interface FastEthernet0/48

description XCONN-2-SW4

switchport access vlan 230

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 230,235,260

switchport mode trunk

speed 100

duplex full

no cdp enable

3548:-

interface FastEthernet0/48

description XCONN-2-SW1

duplex full

speed 100

switchport access vlan 230

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

no cdp enable

3 Replies 3

rmathiyalagan
Level 1
Level 1

How does IGMP helps multicast problem. Before enabling, want some opinions on it..

IGMP is a protocol between a receiver and a router, and it enables the receiving host to tell the router that it is interested in a certain multicast stream. Without it, the router would not forward the stream (sparse mode), or would cut off the stream after a certain time (dense mode).

IGMP snooping is a feature on a switch. Without it, the switch floods all multicasts to all ports. With IGMP snooping, the switch does not flood multicasts except where it has seen a host that says (IGMP) that it is interested in the multicast stream.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

In my case, if i enable IGMP globally will it help or would it be better if i go by vlan wise snooping.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card