Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

3550-12G EMI Router.

Hello,

I'm currently replacing my 7200 series router with a 3550-12G. However, the syntax seems quite different. I have about 70 customers behind it, on DSL, WiFi and fibre.

What I'm trying do do is create a separate interface for my 5 dslams, and two interfaces for my distribution switches. I have created dhcp pools, no problem. But when I go about to make an interfaceface for one of my dslams this is the config int the switchport:

(Now, my dslam wants everything as a trunk.)

interface GigabitEthernet0/11

description !!! Trunk Ardalee DSLAM !!!

no switchport

no ip address

speed 100

duplex full

end

I get this message when I try to insert the following config:

Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only allowed if that

subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE 802.10, IEEE 802.1Q, or IS

L vLAN.

Config:

interface Gig0/11.301

description !!! JohnDoe !!!

encapsulation dot1Q 301

ip address 172.50.50.1 255.255.255.252

no ip redirects

no ip proxy-arp

ip nat inside

Seems like a logical error message. But if i run the following command:

int gig0/11

switchport

do a sh run int gig0/11:

interface GigabitEthernet0/11

description !!! Trunk Ardalee DSLAM !!!

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 90

switchport trunk allowed vlan 90,300-399

switchport mode trunk

speed 100

duplex full

end

I can't paste the customer here either.

The question I'm wondering, How do I set up the interfaces and subinterfaces? Anyone got just a tiny sample for me to harvest? I need nat as well as real ip's. Thanks imensly for help!

\\mark

7 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: 3550-12G EMI Router.

1) Why would you need sub-interfaces ?

If you want to assign a layer3 address to a Vlan, you can do this task by creating a SVI on the switch. Sub-interfaces are needed on trunking configuration on routers because they lack the 'Switch Virtual Interface' functionality.

2) 3550 Switches do not support NAT. You need a 6500 Series switch for NAT support. If NAT is a feature you need, I highly suggest migrating your configuration back to a router.

No nat?

Bloody hell. my solution to the 7200 problem right down the drain.

My problem is that I've got a 7200 router, but it routes with a throughput like a 10yr old dlink.

dammit. All week ruined.

Thanks VERY much for a quick reply. Otherwise, I'd be sitting cursing all day tomorrow over my switch.

\\markraves

You didn't say how old your 7200 was, but consider upgrading it to a 7204/6 vxr with an NPE-G2. That might help a bunch.

Roger

Hello,

It's actually a 7206VXR, but with npe-300 i think. not much needed really, it's not many customers.

I have a prior post in here where i describe my problems with it,

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=WAN%2C%20Routing%20and%20Switching&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddf4c0b/4#selected_message

No nat?

Bloody hell. my solution to the 7200 problem right down the drain.

My problem is that I've got a 7200 router, but it routes with a throughput like a 10yr old dlink.

dammit. All week ruined.

Thanks VERY much for a quick reply. Otherwise, I'd be sitting cursing all day tomorrow over my switch.

\\markraves

Haha, I get it with the SVI. dunno why i didn't think about that earlier!!?? I actually am laughing now, I have a few svi set up other places in my network. lol. In addition to my management net..haha.

thanks,

\\markraves

Hall of Fame Super Bronze

I believe you were trying to mirror your 7200 config as much as possible and got caught on the moment. It happens to the best of us :)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content