Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

3550/2950 DHCP relay option to Router handing out DHCP

Have a client wanting to hand out public ip addresses to all clients from a PFSense Firewall terminating the internet connection.

How do I allow the Cisco Switches currently in place, configured with private ip addresses in the 10.10.x.x ranges and Vlans, where the main 3550 layer 3 has defined dhcp scopes for each vlan, to relay dhcp requests from all vlans to the PFSense firewall?

I assume I would take off the currently defined dhcp scopes for the vlans and configure each vlan/switch with the ip helper address and specify the PFSense firewall and that Nat would have to be disabled onthe firewall?

Everyone's tags (4)
1 REPLY
Bronze

3550/2950 DHCP relay option to Router handing out DHCP

Is the firewall handing out IP addresses or is the 3550 L3 switch configured to server DHCP request?

:

If the firewall hands out the DHCP addresses and the clients are on the inside, you will need to add IP Helper (IP) statements on each vlan so the L3 switch will know where to forward the clients DHCP requests.

:

HTH

Frank

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content