cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 DHCP Public IP Pool

jtothemak
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up a network with a 3550 switch as my first switch as a layer 3 switch to my circuit provider off a metro ethernet.  The provider is giving me a /30 ip pool with the .1 being the routed ip on the circuit givng me the .2 to .126.   The question is how to do I setup the switch as a dhcp servier along with a reserved ip of the first 10 ips for my cisco switches.  Network is a basic switch network feeding other cisco switches for internet service.

Sorry for the basic question but it has been a long time since I have done routing setups and this project was thrown on me.  Thank you for your help in advance. 

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am a bit confused about some details in this post. You tell us that the provider has given you a /30 subnet. That would have only 2 routable addresses. If you really have addresses 2 through 126 then it would need to be a /25.

You asked about configuring the switch to provide DHCP and here is the basic parts of what you need. You would need to make appropriate adjustments, especially in term of the address space being used.

! reserve addresses 1 through 10

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.10

! configure the dhcp pool

ip dhcp pool pool1
   network 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0
   default-router 10.1.1.1

dns-server 10.1.1.51

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card