cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 or 3560 poe ( 8 port)

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

Hi every one, i am preparing for my CCIE lab, the switches are very expensive here, even the used 3550 costs more then 80k pkr, i found 3560 8 port quite economical but i was told that we couldnt change the IOS and its not feasible for CCIE preparation, so what do you guys think ? does it lack the set of features or is it ok to buy it ??

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 8Port 3560 switch supports the same IOS as the 24Port or 48Port 3560 switch.

You may encounter a port density limitation for your CCIE Lab preparation. Most workbooks require 4 switches and the switches are inter-connected via 3 inter-switch links. You will need 9 ports on each switch just for inter-switch connectivity, just not enough.

If you want to save money and still purchase the 8Port 3560, you can purchase 2950s and do the layer2 tasks in the 2950s while doing the advanced layer3 switching tasks in the 3560s. It won't allow you to follow the workbook as planned but that should get you going.

As a side note, have you tried renting CCIE racks in the internet? I did my entire CCIE preparation in rented racks, never had to purchase a single piece of equipment. Something to consider as an option...

__

Edison.

Dear Edison, can you tell me from which site did you purchased the rack rentals ? and if possible at what price, i did consider it no doubt but relying completely on rack rentals was something i thought wasnt right, but as u said i will definetly consider it

The answer depends on the workbook you are planning to purchase. I used InternetworkExpert and http://www.ccie4u.com supports their workbooks.

I am also using internetworkexpert, can you tell me what was the price they gave you ?

Dear Edison, can you tell me from which site did you purchased the rack rentals ? and if possible at what price, i did consider it no doubt but relying completely on rack rentals was something i thought wasnt right, but as u said i will definetly consider it

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card