cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 switch config backup question

visacemea
Level 1
Level 1

I am doing some switch upgrades and as a precuaution will need to backup switch configs before starting. I don't know whether the running conf has been wri m'd already - so will copy and paste the running config to a text file to be safe. My question is - it is obviously much easier to copy & paste a config from the console than it is to set up tftp server and pull accors the config that way. However, is any information ever missed by copy/paste as compared to a tftp of the config? And come to think of it anyway - could you ftp a running config as it is not strictly a file?

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

copy and paste should work ok . Its basically a text file so nothing gets missed from a copy and paste versus tftping a file to a server . Its just a lot easier to have a tftpserver to write to . Yes you can tftp a running config file . "copy tftp running-config"

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Like Glen stated you can copy the running config to TFTP. Then on your new switch copy from TFTP to the switch. Once the config is in flash, copy it over to the running config with copy flash:/running-conf runn. This will copy all the commands from the file to the running config and you won't miss anything. Once you configure the information local to the switch (ie SSH, SNMPv3 users, etc.) you can save it to startup config.

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card