cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560 communication problems

joeheaton
Level 1
Level 1

I have a brand new 3560, that I have configured to replace an existing 2651 router. I am using ports 23 and 24 to do this. Port 23 is setup to connect to my firewall, which is a server box, with Checkpoint installed. Port 24 is setup to connect to a port on an HP 4108gl chassis. When I plug the cables in for the new switch, there is no communication. I cannot ping the 3560 from the firewall, and the HP never picks up the MAC address of the 3560, and no ping from either side of the connection. I have the configs of the original 2651, and the 3560, if anyone wants to look at them. I am really banging my head on this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My e-mail is jheaton AT etp.ca.gov if anyone would like to see the config files.

25 Replies 25

That may actually be the case, as right now, from the router, which is working, the firewall is not replying to ping.

Joe

Did you get this working ??

Jon

Unfortunately, Tuesday was a state holiday, so my boss wouldn't let me come in and implement. I'm not going to be able to try until Friday now... That was the only problem you saw in the config though, right?

Joe

Can't see anything else wrong in config. As long as you are sure the port on the device on the other end of gi0/24 has also been configured as an 802.1q trunk.

Jon

The other side is an HP 4108 switch chassis, and the port is TAGGED for all VLANs, which is the same thing as what Cisco calls trunk...

No joy on this project yet. I'm attaching a traceroute and constant ping. First is with the switch, and the second is with the original router. We're getting through, but lots of packets are getting dropped. Internet was working with the switch in place, but extremely slow. We're really close, and to be honest, I'm not even sure the problem is with the 3560 at this point, but if you can think of anything else to try, please let me know.

I'm going home for a 3-day weekend, so I'll check back here on Tuesday. Thanks for all your help, and hopefully we can get this thing working...

Bump... anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking port speed mismatch maybe, but I'm not sure.

Hi Joe

Apologies, missed your reply. Have you checked the speed/duplex. If in doubt hardcode both ends and see if that helps.

Also can you post routing table from your router and the 3560 (if you can get them from both devices)

Jon

Attached is the routing table from the 2651. The table is blank at the moment for the 3560, since there's nothing connected, but I'm pretty sure it looked very similar to this one.

The port speed is what came to my mind first also, but I just wanted to see if there were any other "gotchas" to look out for.

Jon,

Can you think of anything else that could be causing my situation besides port speed/duplex issues? I'm going in on Saturday to try one last time before my boss calls in outside help. I'd really like to be able to get this thing going on my "own" (with your help and a couple others that have helped...hehe)

does the interfaces are enable?

run this command, show interface status, see if the interfaces status, is must be connected, check for the duplex and speed status

does LEDs are on or blinking state?

see the speed and duplex configuration for the server and configure the same on switch port 23 and 24

if you are working with vlans run the show vlan command and check if all port are configured in the same vlan where you are working for

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card