cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560 POE lost ios

hartsellda
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3560 POE that will no longer boot and I am not able to load a fresh copy of software onto it.  It appears that it has lost all data.  When I attempt to TFTP a new IOS, I receive that following error: 

Transfer cancelled by remote system

I have tried using dir flash: to see what is contained in the flash directory but I receive the below message:

unable to stat flash/: no such device

I am stuck in rommon mode so when I do switch: dir command, I don't even see flash as being a filesystem.  The below list are the only systems registered.

bsdcs[0]:  (read-only)

bstage[1]: (read-only)

fstage[2]: (read-write)

xmodem[3]: (read-only)

null[4]: (read-write)

tftp[5]: (read-only)

Is this switch finished or is there something else I could try?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

11 Replies 11

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Darin,

Try following the info in this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Hi Alex-

Thanks for the reply.  That is the article I initially used to fix the switch but after running flash_init (it states that the flash is already initialized), I attempt to run dir:flash as it suggests but I only get the below message:

The switch appears to have no flash directory therefore I cannot load the new ios image.  I've never seen this happen before and I haven't found any documentation on how to add the directory, if that's even possible. 

That's because you entered the wrong command.

The correct command is "dir flash:".  Please note the correct placement of the colon or ":".

Thanks for the suggestion leolaohoo.  I entered the command including the : and received the same response.

unable to stat flash:/: no such device

Hmmmm ...

Did you try the following prerequisite commands:

flash_init

load_helper

dir flash:

Yes, the replies are below.

flash_init

flash already initialized

load_helper

command not recognized

dir flash:

unable to stat flash:/: no such device

Your flash could be faulty.

I would like to recommend you contact Cisco TAC and get the appliance RMA-ed. 

That's the conclusion I came to as well.  Thanks for the help leolaohoo.

Just for reference's sake, if anyone is seeing the same thing when they punch in "dir flash", try to punch in "dir flash:" instead. See example below from my ws-c3750-48ts:

switch: dir flash

switch: dir flash:
Directory of flash:/

2    -rwx  9204473   <date>               c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-46.SE.bin
3    -rwx  2072      <date>               multiple-fs
5    -rwx  2505      <date>               config.text
6    -rwx  1934      <date>               private-config.text

6786048 bytes available (9212928 bytes used)

Xavier Banchon
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Darin,

Could you fix this problem? I have exactly the same issue with a Cat 3750X.  It is RMA the only solution?  Thanks in advance for your kindly help

Regards,

Xavier

I have exactly the same issue with a Cat 3750X

The "E" and "X" are easier to fix because these models come with USB where you can boot the IOS from a USB stick.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card