cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560's

chris.stroud
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a Process technician and just got responsible for a little Networking and I wonder if you guys would be gracious enough to point me in the right direction. I have a 3560g switch and just bought another. The current one is almost full with two SFP ports that supply, via fiber, the lower buildings, the rest of the switch has four servers and all the desktops plugged in to it. is there a diagram that shows or a simple way to network these to switches together?

7 Replies 7

Hieu Cao
Level 4
Level 4

Are both of those SFP ports have fiber connections to the lower building, or only one port was used for this and one port is currently free?

If one port is currently free, you can purchase 2 Cisco 1000BASE-T SFP GBICs and connect one of the available SFP port over fiber to the new switch.

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Chris,

If both of the switches are 3560G models, you can save yourself some money and just use a crossover cable between the switches rather than connecting them with fiber.

Mark

actually you don't even need a crossover cable. the 3560's support auto-mdix.

if the two 3560's are going to be 'core/backbone' switches, at least etherchannel several connections together.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094647.shtml

Forgive me, I'm not that fimilar with this. What is auto-mdix?

Mark, Can you give me a little more details? Does the cable have a part number? What port do you use? Thanks for the help. The switches have four SFP's. Two are used now on one switch to supply data to the lower buildings.

Hi,

A standard Cat5 Ethernet cable will suffice, the same as you are using to connect your deivce to the switch. You can choose your port, ensuring that they are setup for the same access vlan wise (if you are using vlans).

If you wanted to leave the access ports alone you could utilise one of the SFP ports on each switch with the purchase of two GLC-T modules. Same cable, just leaves the main ports for devices.

Andy

Chris,

Just like the previous poster you can use a standard patch cable to link both of the switches. If this is the route that you would like to go you wouldn't have to buy two SFP modules and a fiber patch cord to get the same performance. There would be very little configuration needed on the existing switch to do this.

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: