Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

3560 Switch POE question

Moving foward with a POE wireless project. Want to acquire a 3560 POE switch and just turn off POE to use in a non-poe mode. This is being done until we run new CAT 6 Solid wire to the respective areas to properly use POE and proper wireless placement in ceilings. For now, we will use local AP's AC Adapters to provide power. Any issues that may cause problems with power to switch, ports, AP's or WLC?

User the interface range command and then

the subcommand of

# power inline never

to disable ports and then

to reenable I will use the command

# no power inline never

Thank you

Carlos

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

3560 Switch POE question

Carlos,

If I have understood your question then here is my answer.

You have 3560 POE switch but as of now you dont want the POE to be provided from Switch to IP Phones/AP's . You would just want this 3560 switch to act as normal switch without POE. Is that correct?

Answer: If the question is correct then you are right that you have to confiugre "power inline never" command on there interface which would disable the providing power to the port.

never

—Data interface only The supervisor engine never powers up the interface, even if an unpowered phone is connected. This mode is only needed when you want to make sure power is never applied to a PoE-capable interface.

Some good ref":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/troubleshooting/g_power_over_ethernet.html#wp1010511

A device that is locally powered by an AC power module is detected by the PoE switch when connected to a port. However, the switch either provides or removes power based on a low current threshold (for example, the powered device is not using power from the switch.)

When powered devices are locally powered (no PoE), it might be appropriate in some cases to use the power inline never interface configuration command:

Switch(config)# int g0/1

Switch(config-if)# power inline never

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate all usefull posts.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

3560 Switch POE question

Carlos,

If I have understood your question then here is my answer.

You have 3560 POE switch but as of now you dont want the POE to be provided from Switch to IP Phones/AP's . You would just want this 3560 switch to act as normal switch without POE. Is that correct?

Answer: If the question is correct then you are right that you have to confiugre "power inline never" command on there interface which would disable the providing power to the port.

never

—Data interface only The supervisor engine never powers up the interface, even if an unpowered phone is connected. This mode is only needed when you want to make sure power is never applied to a PoE-capable interface.

Some good ref":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/troubleshooting/g_power_over_ethernet.html#wp1010511

A device that is locally powered by an AC power module is detected by the PoE switch when connected to a port. However, the switch either provides or removes power based on a low current threshold (for example, the powered device is not using power from the switch.)

When powered devices are locally powered (no PoE), it might be appropriate in some cases to use the power inline never interface configuration command:

Switch(config)# int g0/1

Switch(config-if)# power inline never

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate all usefull posts.

3560 Switch POE question

Inayath,

Your are correct in the understanding. Appreciate the insight and suggested references. Thank you for your time.

Carlos

Views
Helpful
Replies