cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560-x LAN or IP Base License?

rfallara
Level 1
Level 1

I am just doing typical layer 2 edge switching so the LAN base license seems to be all I need but I also want to be able to remotely telnet/ssh into these switches with radius authentication and send log messages to an external syslog server. Do I need to be at IP base to do these typical managment tasks since they would operate at layer 3?

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The LAN Base image will cover those and most other managment functions. Take a look at the Q&A at the following link for differences between the two versions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/qa_c67-578933_ps10744_Products_Q_and_A_Item.html

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am just doing typical layer 2 edge switching so the LAN base license seems to be all I need but I also want to be able to remotely telnet/ssh into these switches with radius authentication and send log messages to an external syslog server.

For SSH you need to download the IOS with "crypto" enabled.  Lilke what Collin said, IP Base feature set is what you'll need but the filename should have a "k" like this:  c3560e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE

I thought Colin's was saying I would be ok with LAN Base, that I didn't need to go up to IP Base?

I thought Colin's was saying I would be ok with LAN Base, that I didn't need to go up to IP Base?

We are both right.  IP Base or LAN Base are the same thing.  It's just how you "spell" it.

There are 3 different feature sets with the universal images LAN Base, IP Base, and IP Services. My concern is that on the IOS Feature set Differences LAN Base say at layer 3 it offers SVIs but no IP routing support so just wasn't sure if that included routing for theswitch managment services (can I have a default-gateway installed for mgmt traffic).

The "E" and the "X" operate with Universal IOS.  If, for example, you purchased the Universal IOS with IP Base and few months down the track say, "I've made a mistake and should've gotten the IP Services", you can solve this by simply contacting the authorized reseller and purchase the license key for the upgrade.

By the way, OSPFv1 is supported on the IP Base feature set of the version 12.2(55)SE.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card