cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560x Output Drops

Daniel Smith
Level 1
Level 1

I have a monitor session process set up to forward data from 4 ports to a single output port. I am surprised to see that on the output port, the rate of output drops is steadily increasing:

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 153449

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)

30 second input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

30 second output rate 59,733,000 bits/sec, 7698 packets/sec       <I added the commas, nice view I think.

The output drops are being blamed for another applications failure to adequately monitor the combined output of the four ports. I do not see how at 60Mbps, this interface should be dropping so much traffic. THanks in advance for any suggestions!

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

A common issue with the 3560/3750 series, is "shallow" buffers.  I.e. if there are bursts of traffic that exceed the ports transmission rate, the port will drop packets even though the "average" transmission rate isn't high.

Mapping 4 ports to 1 port could create such a situation.  Although you have your load average set to 30 seconds, a lot can happen within 30 seconds.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Total output drops" is not a "network issue", per se.

This counter increments when the downstream clients starts dropping packets.  This happens when the downstream packet can't process the volume of incoming traffic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card