Views
Helpful
Replies

3560X: recovery without pressing "mode button"

Albertoge75
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

does anyone know if there's a way for password recovery on 3560X without pressing "mode button"?

A way, for example, to reach ROMMON with some escape sequence as in routers?

I have SWITCHES with CISCO 3560X boards embedded and they don't have the "mode button" taken out.

So, it's a problem if there's no other way of restoring it.

Thank you

Alberto

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

does anyone know if there's a way for password recovery on 3560X without pressing "mode button"?

A way, for example, to reach ROMMON with some escape sequence as in routers?

1. Rename the IOS filename extension from BIN to something else. 
  2. Reboot the appliance and you'll be guaranteed to go into ROMmon. 
  3. Rename the IOS filename extension back to BIN.
  4. Rename the config.text file. 
  5. Boot the appliance. 
  6. Continue with the password recovery proceedure.

Parvesh Paliwal
Level 3
Level 3

Do you have access to the switch ?

Do you have the running config of the switch ?

If you have, you can run the recovery procedure.

Thank you for your answers.

I'm not fortunately now in the situation I described but i have to solve this problem (hopefully)

I have custom switches that have CISCO 3560X boards inside, let me say. So theese switches don't have the "mode button" taken out of the box.

Let's imagine that I forget the privileged password and console password.

What shall I do before opening the case of the switch and reach the "mode button" inside?

Leolaohoo, how can I implement the procedure you described if I can't log in the switch?

Is there a way to reach the flash during boot through serial console connection?

Thanks again

Alberto

Someone physically removed the mode buttons ???   You have 2 options that I know , one is normal password recovery via mode button  or  the password recovery function disabled  and those instructions  which I believe involves setting the config back to factory defaults , hopefully you have them all backed up .  Don't believe there is any other way.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swtrbl.html#wp1021182

Leolaohoo, how can I implement the procedure you described if I can't log in the switch?

Is there a way to reach the flash during boot through serial console connection?

Without the username/password you can't do what I recommend.

Without the mode button ... can't you get a stick and push the inside?  Forget it.  I believe you're in a bind.

Ok, thanks to all.

I supposed so, but i needed a confirmation!

Bye

Alberto

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card