cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3640 image question

srberg5219
Level 1
Level 1

Currently have a client with a 3640 running IOS version 12.3(11)T and when we went to setup a VLAN yesterday, noticed their 3640 doesn't support encapsulation. Is this a software or hardware issue?

If a software issue, what image do I need to upgrade this client to?

Many thanks for your time and patience!

7 Replies 7

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

this can be a hardware issue - but we cannot answer it without knowing your hardware.

Can you post the relevant info and also your rejected config command plus error message (if available).

Regards, Martin

Shawn

With a 3640 I think that it is less likely to be a hardware issue and more likely a software issue, though it would be nice to know which Ethernet card it was to be sure.

I believe that it is more likely an issue of which feature set your client is running than to be an issue of which version. If you post the output of show version we would be in better position to know which version and feature set and possibly to give you a better answer.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

OOPS...Sorry! here is what I have:

Cisco 3640 (r4700 processor-100MHz) router (4 ethernet, 2 Fast Ethernet interfaces, 1 seriel interface)

IOS Version: 12.3(11)T

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(19)AA ED (fc1)

125k NVRAM

20480k system flash

Not in a position right now where I can copy and paste the running config..

Also, the failed command was 'enc'. it just stated unrecognized command..(or similiar)

Shawn

Thanks for posting additional information. But what we need to determine the feature set is not included in what you posted. In particular we are probably looking for the line in show version that says system image is ... Or posting the output of show flash would probably give us the complete image name.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Sorry...today feels like a Monday!

System image file is "flash:c3640-i-mz.123-11.T.bin"

Shawn

Now I believe that we have what we need. The image that you are running is the IP ONLY feature set and does not have support for dot1Q VLAN trunking. If you upgrade the feature set to the IP PLUS feature set (or more capacities) then VLAN trunking is supported.

You could keep the router at the same release level or you could take it as an opportunity to go to a more recent version of code (which would probably include more fixes for vulnerabilities). But the essential thing is to go from the IP ONLY feature set to something with more capabilities.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card