cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3725 Multiservice Router Maximum flash memory

warquezho0612
Level 1
Level 1

I read that there are internal and external flash memory in 3725 router that can max up to 128mb. So adding the sizes of internal and external flash memory, will that total to 256mb?

And also is the internal flash of 3725 just the same with its external flash?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You want the correct answer from Cisco or the "correct" answer?

The 3725/3745 and the 2690 routers are probably the only ones of it's class that has BOTH inside and outside flash cards.  The outside flash card slot is empty but you can use the outside flash card slot to boot the IOS or store files in it.

The answer from Cisco is posted by Reza above.  My answer, based on my experience, was to stick a 3rd party 512 mb CF inside or outside and it works.  I have NOT tried to stick 1 mb or 2 mb CF card.

But this is easy to determine.  If you put a, say, 2 mb CF in the outside, format the CF, copy an IOS into this CF and if you can boot it, then rest assured you can stick the same CF inside and will work.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, You can not combine the 2 flash cards together, since one is internal and one external.  They are 2 different flash cards.

frpm the data sheet

Internal: 32MB (default), expandable to 128MB

External: 32MB, 64MB,128MB options

see table-2 in the Data sheet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps282/product_data_sheet09186a008009203f.html

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You want the correct answer from Cisco or the "correct" answer?

The 3725/3745 and the 2690 routers are probably the only ones of it's class that has BOTH inside and outside flash cards.  The outside flash card slot is empty but you can use the outside flash card slot to boot the IOS or store files in it.

The answer from Cisco is posted by Reza above.  My answer, based on my experience, was to stick a 3rd party 512 mb CF inside or outside and it works.  I have NOT tried to stick 1 mb or 2 mb CF card.

But this is easy to determine.  If you put a, say, 2 mb CF in the outside, format the CF, copy an IOS into this CF and if you can boot it, then rest assured you can stick the same CF inside and will work.

Hi Leolaohoo,

I'm just confuse on some of your answers,

1st: Cisco said that the maximum CF size both on inside and outside is only 128mb, but you mention you put 512mb, so can the inside and outside both host a 512mb flash card?

2nd: When you said you have not tried to put a 1mb or 2mb CF in 3725, do you really mean 1mb and 2mb? Or 1gb and 2gb CF? Because 1mb and 2mb is so small and cannot hold an ios inside

3rd: Have you tried putting a same 512mb CF both inside and outside? If you did then when you issue a show version does that count a total of 1024mb or 1gb in the router? Or does that show a separate two 512mb ATA card?

1st: Cisco said that the maximum CF size both on inside and outside is only 128mb, but you mention you put 512mb, so can the inside and outside both host a 512mb flash card?

Yes.  Remember, I used a 3rd party CF.

2nd: When you said you have not tried to put a 1mb or 2mb CF in 3725, do you really mean 1mb and 2mb? Or 1gb and 2gb CF? Because 1mb and 2mb is so small and cannot hold an ios inside

Whoopsie.  I meant 1Gb or 2Gb.

3rd: Have you tried putting a same 512mb CF both inside and outside? If you did then when you issue a show version does that count a total of 1024mb or 1gb in the router? Or does that show a separate two 512mb ATA card?

Please forgive me if I get either one wrong as I haven't touched a 3700 since 2007.  The inside/internal CF is simply known as "flash:" while the outside/external CF is known as "slot:".  So no, it won't "join" the two.

Hmm, I guess a 128mb CF card either put internaly or externaly won't matter because looking at Cisco IOS for 3725, the maximum size is only at 64mb.

I'm just amaze that you can also use 512mb card on 3725 router. One last question, can you also put the CF card that is meant for external CF slot of 3725 to its internal slot? Meaning are the CF card you put on 3725 internally and externally is just of the same shape and size?

the CF card that is meant for external CF slot of 3725 to its internal slot? Meaning are the CF card you put on 3725 internally and externally is just of the same shape and size?

Yes you can.

By the way, upgrade the bootstrap FIRST before attempting to do anything.

Thanks for the clarification leelaohoo

Oh, by the way, Cisco will not provide any TAC support if they find out that you're using 3rd party CF.

Thanks for the ratings. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card