cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 adding switch to stack

ramonat
Level 1
Level 1

i have a 5 stack switch connecting via stack cables in the data center. i want to add a 6th switch to the stack running from our IDF closet using a fiber connection. the stack doesn't seem to see the additional switch. how can i add this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You cannot stack using a fiber connection , the only way you can stack a 3750 is using a stack cable in the back, what you have effectively done is make that other switch a standalone switch. No way around the stack cables if you want it to be part of a stack. If the switch is in a different closet then stacking that switch is not an option.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

JamesLuther
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

What model are the current switches in the stack and what model is the new switch?

Why don't you connect the new switch using the stack cable (instead of fibre)?

Thanks

they are all the same 3750 models but the new switch is in another location from the stack. stack is in data center/new switch is in IDF closet and we have an available fiber run there so why not use it right.

kelvin.blair
Level 5
Level 5

Per my experience by splitting the switches off a stack with stacking cables using fiber you are now create another distribution layer or access layer. So with that said, you need to ensure that you are trunking between the stack and the new switch or else route.

The switch must be in the same VTP domain and if a password is specified on the host, then that needs to be added as well. The new switch needs to be setup as a client. The port used to connect this additional switch will need "switchport mode trunk" as well as switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q". The port on the other end will need to match. Once that is done, wait a few minutes for the VLAN information to propagate down. At this point you should be good to go..

If this helps, please rate post.

i did all that you have above but i'm not getting any lights on that interface at all is there something else i'm missing. i know the interface is up on the otherside because i'm borrowing a fiber run going to another switch.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You cannot stack using a fiber connection , the only way you can stack a 3750 is using a stack cable in the back, what you have effectively done is make that other switch a standalone switch. No way around the stack cables if you want it to be part of a stack. If the switch is in a different closet then stacking that switch is not an option.

no way huh? Thanks for the confirmation. i guess i'll stop trying then.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: