Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 as a router

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

I have a 3745 router that connects to our 3750 stack. The 3745 has 2 connections: a DS3 and a L2 connection across a MAN. My question is all theory, but if my 3745 were to die, shouldn't I theoretically be able to remove the L2 connection from the router, connect it to the 3750, configure it as a routed port, and then run my routing protocols over it? The MAN connection is configured as my failover link now between two routers, but I think this would work if I needed a quick connection in the event of a failed router.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

shouldn't I theoretically be able to remove the L2 connection from the router, connect it to the 3750, configure it as a routed port, and then run my routing protocols over it?

Yes.

View solution in original post

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello John,

short answer yes.

using an SVI you could even be able to connect both the router and the 3750 to the MAN connection.

but this could have other side effects.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

shouldn't I theoretically be able to remove the L2 connection from the router, connect it to the 3750, configure it as a routed port, and then run my routing protocols over it?

Yes.

Thanks Edison. I thought so. :)

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello John,

short answer yes.

using an SVI you could even be able to connect both the router and the 3750 to the MAN connection.

but this could have other side effects.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card