Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 - Bridge MIB

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello all,

I'm having a small issue with mapping a particular MIB on the switch to the SNMP based software. I'm using Manage-engine software & using the switchport mapper module of it. The basic aim was to get a report which can give me the Port-PC/MAC mapping and give me a consolidated list of which ports are in Use and which are not-in-use.

SNMP configs on the 3750 have been done and i'm able to use all the other modules of manage-engine software, except the switchport mapper. When I run this application I get an error message - " could not find Bridge-MIB on the switch" on the 3750. Can someone help me uploading this MIB on the switch or the SNMP software? How do I get this working?

Raj

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Raj.

Well, you probably need the BRIDGE-MIB.my file so you can load it into your "manage-engine" software...so yes, you're fine on the Cisco end as far as that goes.

What you likely need to know from the manage-engine folks is:

1. How do I compile this MIB file into the manage-engine software?

2. Which MIB object (OID) is it polling in order to populate the switchport mapper.

Finally, and just to be sure, you can verify that this device supports the object that manage-engine gives you in answer to question 2 above by manually running an snmpwalk against the 3750 for that object. Please note that not all objects are supported in all of the listed MIBs from the link I sent you earlier:

ftp://ftp-sj.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/cat3750/cat3750-supportlist.html

so there is a possibility that your 3750 doesn't support the object being polled.

Hope this helps,

-Joe

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello Joe,

Thanks for the reply. After downloading the bridge-mib.my file, how do i upload this to the 3750 switch ?

Raj

Hi Raj.

The BRIDGE-MIB is integrated into the switch software already. Where you would need to load it is into your NMS software suite (I believe you mentioned you're using Solarwinds SwitchPort mapper). I think you'll have to contact Solarwinds to get information on how to compile the MIB into their application.

One other thing...if you can determine what OID the Solarwinds is polling the 3750 with, you can manually walk that object to ensure that the device is responding properly.

Regards,

-Joe

Joe,

I'm basically using the manage-engine software and not the solarwinds..

http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/oputils/switch-port-mapper.html

You mean to say that I do not need to do any uploads or config changes on the 3750 switch ? I'm really not sure if there are any MIBS on the manage-engine site to download , but let me google and check. Are we OK on the cisco end?

Raj

Hi Raj.

Well, you probably need the BRIDGE-MIB.my file so you can load it into your "manage-engine" software...so yes, you're fine on the Cisco end as far as that goes.

What you likely need to know from the manage-engine folks is:

1. How do I compile this MIB file into the manage-engine software?

2. Which MIB object (OID) is it polling in order to populate the switchport mapper.

Finally, and just to be sure, you can verify that this device supports the object that manage-engine gives you in answer to question 2 above by manually running an snmpwalk against the 3750 for that object. Please note that not all objects are supported in all of the listed MIBs from the link I sent you earlier:

ftp://ftp-sj.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/cat3750/cat3750-supportlist.html

so there is a possibility that your 3750 doesn't support the object being polled.

Hope this helps,

-Joe

Hello Joe,

I got this working. I had to actually configure the SNMP community attribute as " community@VLAN" format. eg, if i'm polling the switch in vlan 767, i had to configure:

snmp-server community cisco@767 rw

had to configure the same community on the agent and it then worked :) thanks for all your support..

Raj

Hi Raj.

Yes, that's what I mentioned when I said this in the initial email:

And please check the note mentioned after the BRIDGE-MIB from this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008017ed82.html

Glad to hear it's working.

Regards,

-Joe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card