cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 disadvantages?

naveedfarooqui
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any disadvantages to having a 3750 stack? I realize that the it provides you with hardware redundancy. If the master switch fails, a member will become master and the stack will continue to function. However, does it protect from software related issues. Can a software bug or software issue cause the whole stack to fail? What scenarios can cause a whole stack to go down other then complete power loss.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I haven't heard or experienced one.

Hi Naveed,

The 3750 switch is basically developed for redundancy as mentioned by you and for port density.

As per your concern the stack configuration should not face any issues as if a bug causes an issue then still the command would be with the master switch.

We can identify the issue and do the upgrade if necessary.

Now lets take an example and say that the master switch crashed and rebooted, so even if it has crashed and rebooted then stack master election will take place within other members of the stack so the stack would not face an issue and the switch which have crashed would still be in the stack but as it is not able to come up in the stack that should not cause any issues to the stack.

that is my understanding with the 3750 stacks till now and i hope this helps!

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please have a look at the managing 3750 switch stacks and you would get an idea in terms of best practices to use for the 3750 switch stack.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1142379

regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: