Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 feature sets - stack question

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Learned Ladies & Gents.

I have some 3750 switches which I am looking to deploy, but I'm not sure if my intended redeployment will work.

I have one switch - the in-situ one, and the intended stack master - which is a WS-C3750X-48PF-S with the IPBASE feature set.

I have several others which are about to be made redundant from their current location/jobs - WS-C3750X-24T-S with IPSERVICES feature set.

Question is - can I add the 24 port switches into a stack with the 48 port switch as the master, given the different feature sets?

I don't need, or expect, any of the advanced features from IPSERVICES to be active on this stack - it's a pure access switch, trunking to the core only, no fancy routing - but I'm running out of ports, and if I can add the soon-to-be remover 24 port switches into the stack it'd save me having to try and buy another 48 port switch to add into the stack.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Question is - can I add the 24 port switches into a stack with the 48 port switch as the master, given the different feature sets?

Yes and no.  You'll get them to join but you'll be forever going to see error messages about feature set mismatch.  And you can't turn them off.

I don't need, or expect, any of the advanced features from IPSERVICES to be active on this stack

This appliance already has an IP Services license imbedded inside.  So downgrade this appliance to an IP Base.  In the future, if you need to upgrade the feature set, you just load the IP Services IOS in.

It'll work a lot better than "forcing" this IP Services to join an IP Base "stack".

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes and no.  You'll get them to join but you'll be forever going to see error messages about feature set mismatch.  And you can't turn them off.

I don't need, or expect, any of the advanced features from IPSERVICES to be active on this stack

This appliance already has an IP Services license imbedded inside.  So downgrade this appliance to an IP Base.  In the future, if you need to upgrade the feature set, you just load the IP Services IOS in.

It'll work a lot better than "forcing" this IP Services to join an IP Base "stack".

Leo! Good to hear from you.

Leo Laohoo wrote:

How do I do that with the "Universal" IOS installed? As far as I know, you can't download individual feature set IOS packages anymore - am I wrong on this? I'll go try and see what I can find regardless.

Darren Gibbs wrote:

How do I do that with the "Universal" IOS installed? As far as I know, you can't download individual feature set IOS packages anymore - am I wrong on this? I'll go try and see what I can find regardless.

Answered my own question - yes, I can downlaod the IPBASE IOS image - which is all I need.

Thanks Leo, you're a star!

Sorry.  Just came out of a mind-numbing meeting.

Yes, you can download IP Base.

Thanks for the ratings. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card