Level 8
Level 8

Dont understand this behavior...

See attachment.

Sh ver shows system IOS file as

System image file is "flash:c3750-i5-mz.121-19.EA1d.bin"

sh boot shows:

BOOT path-list : flash:c3750-i5-mz.121-19.EA1d.bin

But I cant find that file for my life....

...even when I do a dir /recursive, which shows all files in the entire file system. Thats the attachment.

Any ideas on why I cant find where that file system is stored?

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All it means is that someone did the upgrade procedure since the switch was last reloaded and did not load the new code .The old code gets erased if specified and the new code is loaded into flash. The old code is not on the box , once its loaded it runs in ram until the next reload . Also if the boot statement is still pointed to the old code and it looks like it is I would change it and point it to the new code.

Glen, I rebooted the switch and now the system image file says

flash:/c3750-ipbase-mz.122-35.SE5/c3750-ipbase-mz.122-35.SE5.bin

Thats fine. Makes sense.

But when I do a sh boot I get this:

cmcsw002-D12#sh boot

BOOT path-list : flash:c3750-i5-mz.121-19.EA1d.bin

Config file : flash:/config.text

Private Config file : flash:/private-config.text

Enable Break : no

Manual Boot : no

HELPER path-list :

Auto upgrade : yes

Auto upgrade path :

cmcsw002-D12#

Theres that damn old code file that I cant find anywhere.

Did a dir /recursive and still cant find it anywhere.

Where is it???? lol

Also, as stupid as this sounds, I cant change the config register. Its set to 0xF, but I cant execute the config-register 0x2102 command. Its not available in config mode.

cmcsw002-D12(config)#config-register ?

% Unrecognized command

cmcsw002-D12(config)#config-register

What gives? Im feeling like a newbie over here... HELP!

LOL

Did you change the boot statement before loading ?Thats what you are seeing not the code file itself .If you only have 1 image in flash it will eventually load that image even without a boot statement . That boot statemnt will change if you do a "boot system flash: " Not sure of the exact meaning of the current config register , my guess it looks at the boot statement first and trys to load that , if its not found it just loads the first image it finds in flash . A little more info

0010 - 1111

(0x02 - 0xF)

At the next power cycle or reload, the router sequentially processes each boot system command in global configuration mode that is stored in the configuration file until the system boots successfully.

If no boot system commands are stored in the configuration file, or if executing those commands is unsuccessful, then the router attempts to boot the first image file in flash memory.

"At the next power cycle or reload, the router sequentially processes each boot system command in global configuration mode that is stored in the configuration file until the system boots successfully.

If no boot system commands are stored in the configuration file, or if executing those commands is unsuccessful, then the router attempts to boot the first image file in flash memory."

This part of the boot process I am very familiar with....

The thing is that 1, there are no boot system commands configured, so I am wondering why the sh boot points to that old IOS file, which, by the way, I cant find anywhere in the file system -- and 2, why it is I cant change the config register....

Strange...

The boot statement does not show up in the config , it is stored in a different file, maybe the private-config file as soon as you enter the boot statment , that boot file path statement will change. It even works like this on the old 2900 series switches. Not sure about why you can't change the config reg statement. Maybe Edison can elaborate on that issue , I'm not sure.

Edison? Rick? Jon? Help? lol

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: