Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Stack Crossing Mandatory ? and more questions about stack

mhdganji110
Level 1
Level 1

Hi !

every link and guide i see about stacking two 3750 switch , the port 1 is connected to port 2 on the other switch and vice versa

Is it mandatory ?

or it is not important.

i mean you can connect port 1 to port 1 on the other and connect their port 2 to each other

1- is it any benefit in the cross connection ?

and another question :

2- do i encounter any problem if i stack a 24ts with a 48ts or a 12s-s (all are 3750)

3-and the last one

i stacked two switches with each other and the ports became 1/0/* and 2/0/*

and then i removed stack

but on second switch the ports are still 2/0* !!

i do not like that . when there is only one switch the interfaces should be 1/0/*

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

1) yes there is a benefit in cross connection.

the cross connection makes the cabeling easier to manage.

that is as far as i know the only, but quite important benefit.

2) no no problems there, just make sure you have the same level ie ipbase to ipbase or lan base to lan base and the same version of software then you should not run into problems.

3) Yes one would think so but this because the switch nr 2 is now a member of the stack,

if the stack was 2 switches and the first one (nr 1) is lost due to a malfunction then you would not want to change the configuration on switch 2 to reflect this change, since you will replace the lost switch with a functionable one.

so the non changing of the switch number is a desireable nature of the switch.

IF you want to change the switch number yourself then that is possible with the switch command.

conf t

switch 2 renumber 1

this does make the switch be the nr 1 switch.

It will however not change the configuration.

HTH

Good luck

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

1) yes there is a benefit in cross connection.

the cross connection makes the cabeling easier to manage.

that is as far as i know the only, but quite important benefit.

2) no no problems there, just make sure you have the same level ie ipbase to ipbase or lan base to lan base and the same version of software then you should not run into problems.

3) Yes one would think so but this because the switch nr 2 is now a member of the stack,

if the stack was 2 switches and the first one (nr 1) is lost due to a malfunction then you would not want to change the configuration on switch 2 to reflect this change, since you will replace the lost switch with a functionable one.

so the non changing of the switch number is a desireable nature of the switch.

IF you want to change the switch number yourself then that is possible with the switch command.

conf t

switch 2 renumber 1

this does make the switch be the nr 1 switch.

It will however not change the configuration.

HTH

Good luck

Thanks so much

1- you mean cross  connection  just it makes it beautiful and easy to cabling in the back of the switch (physical just ?)

and another question

2- is it necessary for IOS to be completely identical on both switches ?

and  if it is so, should the ios's be upgraded and then stack the switches?  is it possible to put the stack on and then copy ios to one of them (may  be just the master) ? and tell all switches in stack to boot first from  that ?

Hi again

1) No not just "beautiful" but i agree its more pleasing to the eye. but also its easier to have the cabeling follow a pattern when you have to work with it by touch only in a small rackspace where you can not see or move around to much.

if you arrange the cabeling in say a 7 stack then it will be hard to know and to follow the cabeling with your fingers only.

however there is nothing stopping you from actually using a random approach as long as all of the switches are connected in a linear fashion.

2) Yes i would say that, I have seen in documents from cisco that minor changes in versions should be tolerated, but i have also had problems with minor version changes so i would state that you need to have the same version in all the switches that are to be in the same stack.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Regarding question number 3, once the switch is in a standalone mode, in order to change the config and port numbering back to its default, you need to delete the provisioning:

Have a look at this link for config info and example:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml#stack6

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco