Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 -Stack

Anukalp S
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

Is it possible to do stacking between  48 ports & 24 ports 3750 switches?

3 Replies 3

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes it is possible .

Stacking Rules

Below I list what you should know and understand before stacking.

•     There are three main software feature sets: LAN Base, IP Base, IP Services
  •     You cannot mix software feature sets. You cannot have some switches with LAN Base and some with IP Services for example.
  •     The Cisco StackWise technology requires that all units in the stack run the same release of Cisco IOS Software.
  •     A standalone switch is a switch stack with one stack member that also operates as the stack master.
  •     Make sure that you power off the switches that you add to or remove from the switch stack. I have not found a clear reason for this, perhaps it’s to prevent any corruption of the stack. Obviously you can add or remove a switch during stack production.
  •     A new, out-of-the-box switch (one that has not joined a switch stack or has not been manually assigned a stack member number) ships with a default stack member number of 1. When it joins a switch stack, its default stack member number changes to the lowest available member number in the stack.
  •     If you manually change the stack member number, it only takes effect when you reset that specific member switch.
  •     A higher priority value for a stack member increases its likelihood of being elected stack master and retaining its stack member number. The priority value can be 1 to 15. The default priority value is 1.
  •     You can manually define the priority value for a stack member. I always like to define which switch is the MASTER.
  •     The configuration that you create on the switch stack is called the provisioned configuration.
  •     The switch that is added to the switch stack and that receives this configuration is called the provisioned switch.
  •     Each software image includes a stack protocol version. In order to remain compatible, protocol versions should be similar.
  •     Connecting to individual console ports on a member switch still talks to MASTER switch.

Regards

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You cannot mix software feature sets. You cannot have some switches with LAN Base and some with IP Services for example.
    The Cisco StackWise technology requires that all units in the stack run the same release of Cisco IOS Software.

My understanding is you can mix IP Base and IP Services.  (I've done it on the original series, but I believe it's also true on the -X series too. Can save $, especially in larger stacks.  NB: if you only have one stack member running IP Services, and it fails, stack will then run IP Base.  So, for redundancy, good idea to have two stack units with IP Services.)

Also, my understanding is you can mix IOS versions, what's important is the version of StackWise itself.  (NB: Running the same IOS version insures the StackWise version matches, so it's a good idea to do so.)

Hi,

My understanding is you can mix IP Base and IP Services.  (I've done it on the original series, but I believe it's also true on the -X series too. Can save $, especially in larger stacks.  NB: if you only have one stack member running IP Services, and it fails, stack will then run IP Base.  So, for redundancy, good idea to have two stack units with IP Services.)

Also, my understanding is you can mix IOS versions, what's important is the version of StackWise itself.  (NB: Running the same IOS version insures the StackWise version matches, so it's a good idea to do so.)

I am totally agree with your points specially to save $'s.

But from cisco , It was always a recommendation.

According to this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/prod_white_paper09186a00801b096a.html

Cisco IOS Software Images Must Be Identical

#

The  Cisco StackWise technology requires that all units in the stack run the  same release of Cisco IOS Software. When the stack is first built, it  is recommended that all of the stack members have the same software  feature set - either all IP Base or all IP Services. This is because  later upgrades of Cisco IOS Software mandate that all the switches to be  upgraded to the same version as the master.

Reagrds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco