Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 switch master command

BRUNO WOLLMANN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm sending out a quick question to verify that there is no command to manually cause a member switch to become master.  The only way to change the master is by reloading it.  Is this correct?

I know I can change switch priorities and influence which switch will become master when I reload the entire stack but there doesn't appear to be a way to change masters in a running stack without a reload.

Thanks,

Bruno

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

shailesh.h
Level 1
Level 1

Reference:      http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

Master will be re-elected when

• When the whole switch stack is reset1

• When the stack master is reset or powered off

Note: If you reset the stack master, it would reset the whole stack.

• When the stack master is removed from the stack

• When the stack master switch has failed

• The switch stack membership is increased by if you add powered-on standalone switches or switch stacks.1

So your understanding is correct that you cannot make other switch master till you reload the stack...

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

shailesh.h
Level 1
Level 1

Reference:      http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

Master will be re-elected when

• When the whole switch stack is reset1

• When the stack master is reset or powered off

Note: If you reset the stack master, it would reset the whole stack.

• When the stack master is removed from the stack

• When the stack master switch has failed

• The switch stack membership is increased by if you add powered-on standalone switches or switch stacks.1

So your understanding is correct that you cannot make other switch master till you reload the stack...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card