cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 switch - need to connect using uplink

ramonat
Level 1
Level 1

i am trying to add a 3750 switch to the network. i want to config a fiber connection as the uplink to the core. i don't get any connectivity lights that its talking to anything. the fiber run is good because i can connect it to our old switch and all works. what am i missing? I've config the port the same as our old config uplink connection.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yudong Wu
Level 7
Level 7

Check the following:

1. Make sure use the same type GBIC/SFP on both side.

2. Make sure the port is "no shut"

3. swap tx and rx of fiber

By the way, if it is SX, you should see a "red light" in one string of fiber pair and in TX side of SFP.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

b.julin
Level 3
Level 3

Have you tried swapping receive and transmit strands? Are you trying to throw 850nm over a singlemode fiber? Is the SFP really all the way plugged in (some ofthem can be tricky.)? Are your patches good? Did you maybe forget to remove a shutdown statement?

That's where I would start.

Yudong Wu
Level 7
Level 7

Check the following:

1. Make sure use the same type GBIC/SFP on both side.

2. Make sure the port is "no shut"

3. swap tx and rx of fiber

By the way, if it is SX, you should see a "red light" in one string of fiber pair and in TX side of SFP.

Hi

Sorry, this will be out of the original thread, but I think it is important.

If you are shure that the fiber You look into is connected to mm-fiber who is driven by a led, yes it will be red.

However what about looking into a fiber You are not 100 procent shure where it is connected.

It can be connected to a laser for long-reach connection.

I'm not sure if that is safe, I've been told that it can be a risk for your eyes.

Maybe someone out there knows for shure, if it is safe to look into a laser, or if you should avoid it.

If the recomendation is to avoid, I will suggest, never look into a fiber unless you are 100 procent shure where the other end is connected.

/Mikael

ramonat
Level 1
Level 1

yes checked all that and it is good. i'm going to swap out the sfp with a known good one and down grade the IOS to what the others are running. if that doesn't work not sure what else to check.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card