Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

3750G oversubscription question

Can someone please clarify this for me.

If I have 3 x 24port 3750G switches connected in a stack. This equals 24ports x 3 = 72 gigabit ports.

If the backplane is 32Gb, does this mean I have 72:32 oversubscription ?

Or am I wrong here with the 3750G switches?

• LAN Switching and Routing
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 3750G oversubscription question

You're right. Presuming all ports on all switches are operating at 1Gbps, you have 1:2.25 oversubscription ratio at the backplane. In most cases, this shouldn't present any issue though. I mean, I've worked with large server farms with oversubscription ratio greater than 1:16 without any perceived problems.

If you want full non-blocking, you can use Cat4948, but you can't stack this platform. Alternatively, you can use Cat6500 for high-density wire-rate GigE. Don't think about Cat4500 though. Its architecture is pretty poor (6Gbs per slot).

1 REPLY

Re: 3750G oversubscription question

You're right. Presuming all ports on all switches are operating at 1Gbps, you have 1:2.25 oversubscription ratio at the backplane. In most cases, this shouldn't present any issue though. I mean, I've worked with large server farms with oversubscription ratio greater than 1:16 without any perceived problems.

If you want full non-blocking, you can use Cat4948, but you can't stack this platform. Alternatively, you can use Cat6500 for high-density wire-rate GigE. Don't think about Cat4500 though. Its architecture is pretty poor (6Gbs per slot).

Views
Helpful
Replies