Views
Helpful
Replies

3750G Perfromance (@ Layer3)

mcroft
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking for a couple of MultiLayer Switches, probably the WS-C3750G-48TS.

I am trying to find performance figures and am unable to find much from the cisco site.

In particular, I am looking for "Layer3 Forwarding performance". At the moment, I found switching figures 3750G at 38.7 Mpps, but I think these are layer2 "switching" performance stats.

I need to find out how fast these products can route between different networks (at Layer3), in both Mpps and Mbps.

Cisco only give 38.7 Mpps, but this cannot be Layer3 forwarding ? .... or can it ?

Any Help really appreciated.

Thank you.

Matt

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I understand L2 and L3 forwarding rates are about the same although a 3750 Q&A notes routing is "centralized" so that rate might apply to a whole 3750 stack.

If your believe the forwarding rate for 3750s is insufficient, check out the 3750-E series or the 4948 series.

PS:

If you see no need to stack units, you might also consider the 3560 series. If you do stack units, also note Stackwise bandwidth can be a limiter too.

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Matt

L3 forwarding is done in Hardware, so you can expect about the same kind of performance. It is worth bearing in mind however that if you apply any kind of ACLs or policies the performance will be reduced.

Hope this helps

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card