Helpful
Replies

3750G Stack. SNMP-walk results have inconsistency with "show env"

Vadym Belyayev
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

---

I am trying to monitor 2 switches separately in a 2-switch stack and unfortunately not able to find the correspondent temp OIDs in the STACKWISE-MIB/STACK-MIB/ENVMON-MIB. None of these mibs containt the temperature info.

STACKWISE mib contans the Temp table, however, when I try to query it, it simply returns me "no value in the table"

---

My question was the following: I have done snmp-walk on my device and I am getting info I do not see in my 3750G switch.

For example, alarm section is returning me the value of 1 (in the snmp-walk results), but I dont have any alarms in the system (actually I do not even have a way to check that, because the command "show env" does not include the alarms section, show facility-alarms does not exist neither

Or for example the power supply also returns me "other" value, while the "show env" command shows POWER is OK.

The SNMP-WALK searches in the CISCO-STACK mib.

Can anyone tell me if snmp-walk is a safe way to search for all available OIDs a device contains to further query them or it  may happen that a device writes an incorrect info into those variables.

Thanks a lot!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

leonard-tucker
Level 1
Level 1

From What I have found the OID you are looking for is CISCO-ENVMON-MIB::ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue

I have that this works on a 3750X running 122-55.SE7. It does not seem to work on a 3750G running the same version of code.

Here is my output:

[user@system ~]$ /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v 2c -c PASSWORD 3750X CISCO-ENVMON-MIB::ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue

CISCO-ENVMON-MIB::ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue.1006 = Gauge32: 25 degrees Celsius

[user@system ~]$ /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v 2c -c PASSWORD 3750G CISCO-ENVMON-MIB::ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue

CISCO-ENVMON-MIB::ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID

The closest I could get to monitoring temperature on the 3750G is the temperature alarm.

[user@system ~]$ /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v 2c -c PASSWPRD 3750G chassisTempAlarm                

CISCO-STACK-MIB::chassisTempAlarm.0 = INTEGER: off(1)

Information from CISCO-STACK-MIB.my

chassisTempAlarm OBJECT-TYPE

SYNTAX        INTEGER {

off(1),     -- temperature within normal

--  range

on(2),      -- temperature too high

critical(3) -- critical temperature,

-- system shut down imminent

}

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

leonard-tucker
Level 1
Level 1

From What I have found the OID you are looking for is CISCO-ENVMON-MIB::ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue

I have that this works on a 3750X running 122-55.SE7. It does not seem to work on a 3750G running the same version of code.

Here is my output:

[user@system ~]$ /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v 2c -c PASSWORD 3750X CISCO-ENVMON-MIB::ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue

CISCO-ENVMON-MIB::ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue.1006 = Gauge32: 25 degrees Celsius

[user@system ~]$ /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v 2c -c PASSWORD 3750G CISCO-ENVMON-MIB::ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue

CISCO-ENVMON-MIB::ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID

The closest I could get to monitoring temperature on the 3750G is the temperature alarm.

[user@system ~]$ /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v 2c -c PASSWPRD 3750G chassisTempAlarm                

CISCO-STACK-MIB::chassisTempAlarm.0 = INTEGER: off(1)

Information from CISCO-STACK-MIB.my

chassisTempAlarm OBJECT-TYPE

SYNTAX        INTEGER {

off(1),     -- temperature within normal

--  range

on(2),      -- temperature too high

critical(3) -- critical temperature,

-- system shut down imminent

}

Leonard, how are you?

Yes, the ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue is the object I was querying, however it does not return any value..

show snmp mib-view include Temp shows me this object, so logically the switch should be storing a value in the variable, but for some reason it doesnt. By the way I am using 12.2(25)SEE2.. seems like a pretty old one.

I´ll try to upgrade to the latest version of 12.2, maybe it solves some of my issues))

Thank you very much for your response, it was very useful to check the behavior on different platforms and IOS releases. Thanks again!!

By the way, Leo, the MEMORY-POOL also gives me an incorrect result, I mean the free and used memory that MEMORY-POOL  Mib reports is incorrect..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card