cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750x IP Base Routing Features

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

I just wanted to verify the following information. If you have a stack of 2 switches, and the stack master has IP Base, and the bottom switch doesn't then both switches will support IP Base features since the Stack Master has IP Base.

Second, IP Base only supports static routing, RIP, and EIGRP Stub routing..

My other question is, how many routes can you have with with IPv4 or is there a limit?

2 Replies 2

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi John,

I just wanted to verify the following information. If you have a stack of 2 switches, and the stack master has IP Base, and the bottom switch doesn't then both switches will support IP Base features since the Stack Master has IP Base.

Direct anser NO, they will not support each other, for support they have to have same ios version(Ipbase).otherwise only master will run.

Second, IP Base only supports static routing, RIP, and EIGRP Stub routing..

Yes, RIP and static routing are supported on the IP Base feature set. Dynamic IP routing protocols (OSPF, BGPv4, EIGRP) are available only on the IP Services feature set.The IP Base feature set enables Layer 2 forwarding, high-availability, QoS and security features along with basic Layer 3 routing, including EIGRP stub mode.

My other question is, how many routes can you have with with IPv4 or is there a limit?

as per my knowledge, there is no limit.But am note sure about this!

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

As Sandeep already replied for the first two questions,

i 'll reply to the third

The limit is your RAM memory. The computational capability will not represent a  problem for your switch (very performing) but the dimensions of the routing tables always impact on the RAM memory.

Upgrade your license if you can otherwise you will not be able to get the best from that so nice machine !

Alessio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card