cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750x-PL stuck in boot. Fans rev up, then down, then up again

Nicholas Hood
Level 1
Level 1

Just opened a new WS-C3750X-48P-L V02 out of the box. I inserted the modular power supply and plugged in the unit. The fans rev up to top speed, then settle down to normal then rev up to top speed again over and over. I am unable to get to the console. I replaced the power supply with a new one from another WS-C3750X-48P-L V02 out of the box and get the same results. I have moved to different places in the building and plugged in but am getting the same result. I let it sit for about 10 min and it continued to do the same thing over and over.

Any ideas on what could cause this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Nicholas,

Here are the meanings of the LEDs states:

• System

• Solid Green - Normal operation with no faults

• Blinking Green during boot

• Solid Amber - Temperature faults, cable faults, port faults, power supply faults, fan faults

• Blinking Amber during software updates

• Fan

• Use one Fan LED, amber when any one fan fails, green when all OK

• Each FRU Fan (3) will have an associated Status LED (green=working, amber=failed), but no silkscreen on front panel

• Temp

• Green - No Problems. Amber - Over Temperature

• FEP (PS1 & PS2)

• Solid Green - Stack Power Mode OK

• Blinking Green - RPS Mode OK

• Solid Amber - Stack Power Mode Faulty

Since all LEDs on your switch are amber (failure indicator), I think the chassis or motherboard itself are faulty and switch requires replacement.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nicholas,

What is the status of the switch LEDs?

Is console output empty? Did you ensure the console speed and other parameters in terminal are default?

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Kind Regards,
Ivan

These LED's are amber - System,S-Power, Speed, Duplex and POE, then they go off and the sys led flashes Amer/Orange for a bit, then the switch resets.

The switch wont even get to a point where I can get to the console (yes i have it set correctly) because it wont even get to POST. The fans just run full, stop, run full stop over and over again.

Thanks for your quick response.

-Nick

Hi Nicholas,

Here are the meanings of the LEDs states:

• System

• Solid Green - Normal operation with no faults

• Blinking Green during boot

• Solid Amber - Temperature faults, cable faults, port faults, power supply faults, fan faults

• Blinking Amber during software updates

• Fan

• Use one Fan LED, amber when any one fan fails, green when all OK

• Each FRU Fan (3) will have an associated Status LED (green=working, amber=failed), but no silkscreen on front panel

• Temp

• Green - No Problems. Amber - Over Temperature

• FEP (PS1 & PS2)

• Solid Green - Stack Power Mode OK

• Blinking Green - RPS Mode OK

• Solid Amber - Stack Power Mode Faulty

Since all LEDs on your switch are amber (failure indicator), I think the chassis or motherboard itself are faulty and switch requires replacement.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Just opened a new WS-C3750X-48P-L V02 out of the box.

Just opened????

Power the appliance up and WAIT for approximately 30 to 45 minutes.  No I'm NOT joking. 

It's probably upgrading the micro-code.

Hi leolaohoo,

I believe in such case it would show on the console the corresponding messages:

Front-end Microcode IMG MGR: Preparing to program device microcode...

Also, if you have seen video that Nicholas posted, you can see that LEDs are glowing amber for few seconds, it is starting the fans and then the switch goes down and repeats the cycle.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Thanks all of you for your responses.

Unfortunately as I mentioned, I am unable to get to the console because it will not even reach POST so I can not see any messages. I was able to show my video to my partner and they initiated a RMA with Cisco.

Thanks again Ivan!

-Nick

Welcome, Nicholas. Good luck with replacement!

Kind Regards,
Ivan
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco