cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750X question

David Flatley
Level 1
Level 1

We have a WS-C3750-48TS-S which is connected via stackwise cables to a WS-C3750G-48TS-S. We want another switch and the Dynamic configuration tool when I inputted the 3750G recommended the WS-3750X-48T-S as a substitute. My question is: is the 3750X fully compatable with the 3750 and 3750G. If it is then all we have to do is update the flash on the old switches so that when I plug the 3750X it can join the stack.

Your response is appreciated.

8 Replies 8

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

From what I understand, you can connect a 3750 as well as a 3750G to a stack that has a 3750x. You will need to

make sure that the IOS version matches on all switches thought. I know the feature set and major release versions need to match, but I dont remeber about the minor leases.

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

As a general rule you can install a stack of 3750, 3750G and 3750x.

However there are some 3750 that might have to little memory to have the latest IOS.

And the 3750x comes in three flavours, the Lan base, IP Base and IP Services.

IPBase and IP Services will stack with the 3750 and 3750G

However the LAN Base will not stack with any 3750 or 3750G.

The ones you are asking about seems to fit just nicely aslong as you can get software that is compatible.

Good luck

HTH

That was some good information Hobbe.

Correct me if I am wrong, the IP services has SSH in it where IP base does not?? We need ssh capabilities. So far as the memory on the 3750, we could promote the 3750G as master in the stack and sunset the 3750 which would be replaced with the 3750X. Thanks for the great response.

Well, if you successfully add it to the stack, you won't be SSHing directly into that switch, you will go through the stack master as far as I know.

Yes I agree with what you said. But over time the 3750X could become the master. Plus there is a big price difference between the IP base model and IP services 3750X. So I have to plan for variances and long term usage. Thanks for the response.

Hi

IP-Base does have ssh.

Afaik all of the models have the possibility to use SSH.

However there is a version of software without "MACSEC" and I am not sure if that version supports ssh.

It is my understanding that  the macsec is removed for cryptographic reasons, that is also the reason why I am not sure if that software versions supports ssh (cryptographic feature).

Good luck

HTH.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

My question is: is the 3750X fully compatable with the 3750 and 3750G.

It is backward compatable, i.e. it gives up some of its improvements (for example, its StackringPlus reverts to Stackring.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card