Views
Helpful
Replies

3750X Questions

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I'm going to start using 3750Xs PoE switchs. I know with the 3750s the images choice was ip base and ipservices. What are the parallels to the 3750x switches? Is the  Universal image for the 3750X, the new ipservices image that the 3750 used?

Thanks, Pat.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you should first ask yourself which Feature Set (license) you need as buying the switch with the right Feature Set is typically cheaper then buying the smaller switch and later the additional features.

The differences of LAN Base vs. IP Base vs. IP Services is described in the 3750X-FAQ:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/qa_c67-578933.html

View solution in original post

So, you are saying that instead of downloading the image from Cisco and installing the image - with 3750X, a license is purchased with the 3750X or after the purchase where the feature set can be activated?

Basically, the 3560/3750 "E" and "X" can run an IOS called the "universal".  So this means that by simply applying a license code you can upgrade the feature set of your appliance from, say, IP Base to IP Services.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

The universal-image has all features included. But you need the right license (i.e. ip-services) to activate them. That is different from older platforms where the available features werde only dependent from the image.

So, you are saying that instead of downloading the image from Cisco and installing the image - with 3750X, a license is purchased with the 3750X or after the purchase where the feature set can be activated?

I'm not asking for every feature that the Universal might have that the IPBASE doesn't have but, are there any that stick out like limitations with layer 3 or VACLs?

Thanks, Pat.

Yes, you should first ask yourself which Feature Set (license) you need as buying the switch with the right Feature Set is typically cheaper then buying the smaller switch and later the additional features.

The differences of LAN Base vs. IP Base vs. IP Services is described in the 3750X-FAQ:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/qa_c67-578933.html

Basically, the 3560/3750 "E" and "X" can run an IOS called the "universal".  So this means that by simply applying a license code you can upgrade the feature set of your appliance from, say, IP Base to IP Services.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card