Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

3750X "Single Switch Stack"

I have a 3750X 24 port switch (with NM-1G network module) running IOS 15.0(1). Is there any benefit or reason to plug in the included StackWise cable and loop it back to itself in a single switch installation?

I don't see any recommendation in the documentation. The data sheet indicates a single switch is a non-blocking device so I'd think there's no bandwidth advantage like there is when connecting an actual multi-switch stack and needing to close the loop for the full 32 Gbps stack bandwidth.

The only reason I can see is to keep from misplacing it.

2 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Hmm, I wonder whether looping a single switch would confuse it.  Assuming it doesn't, considering the stack cables can bottleneck compared to the fabric, although at least StackWise+ doesn't put everything on the ring, I would think it would be inadvisable to close the ring.  However, to avoid misplacing the cable, maybe just attach to one port, i.e. don't close the ring.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Is there any benefit or reason to plug in the included StackWise cable and loop it back to itself in a single switch installation?

Nope.  You don't get any benefit other than you know where one cable will always be.

Views
Helpful
Replies