Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

3750x Stack cables coming loose

I have just finished a project replacing 42 - 4006 with approx 200 - 3750X at one of my customer sites, two weeks ago I got an alarm from a monitoring tool that one of the stack ports on a specific switch was down, as I was on site and down the hall from this stack I walked over and found that the stack cable was loose. I did not think anything of the loose cable just figured we did not tighten it up properly so I screwed it in and all was fine. A few days later I got an alarm for a different switch on the other side of the campus, same thing, loose cable and just tightened it up. This week I was doing a safety walkthrough on all the closets and I decided to check the cables on many of the higher profile stacks and I found that the stacking cables were loose, in many cases I had 3-4 full revolutions to get the screws finger tight. I can see that my team may have missed a couple of screws but not the number I am finding. I was wondering what is best practice for tighten these screws and preventing them from loosening up? I don't want to go through all 42 rooms monthly and keep these screws tight, any suggestions?

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Brian,

When it comes to the 3750 fleet, my toolbox have a flathead s_crew driver.  It has been awhile since I've used my fingers to install and tighten the cables.  I always use the s_crew driver or a 150mm drillbit.

And I have never experienced anything like this. 

Purple

Re: 3750x Stack cables coming loose

Use a flatblade screwdriver to tighten.  Just has to be snug, "DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN", you will strip the screws .

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Yes I've seen installers unfamiliar with the Stackwise cables finger tighten these only to have them loosen and cause a switch loss or degradation.

They need to be tightened with a tool (but not too much as Glen noted).

The new 3850 (and 3650) switches have a much improved form factor in their stack cables that doesn't appear so prone to coming loose and is not as fragile. Nice picture here:

http://blog.ciscoinferno.net/cisco-3850-stackwise

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content