Views
Helpful
Replies

3750x Stacking Question

sinu.alias
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a customer who is having 3750X Switch with IP Base Image.They are planning to add a new switch and these two switches will be stacked.

Could you please recommend a cost effective switch that can be stacked with existing 3750X Switch(IP Base Image).And also what all modules i need to add other than stacking cable?

Regards

8 Replies 8

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

What do you mean? Aren't you buying another 3750X?

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Could you please recommend a cost effective switch that can be stacked with existing 3750X Switch(IP Base Image).

You can only stack 3750G, 3750E, 3750X to a 3750X. 

NOTE:  I know you can stack a 3750 to an 3750X but the 3750 doesn't have enough flash memory (8 Mb) if the operator wants to use higher IOS like 15.0(2)SE4.

You WILL NOT be able/allowed to stack 2960S/2960X, 3650 and or 3850 to a 3750/G/E/X.  There's no PHYSICAL WAY this is possible.

sinu.alias
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Do i need to order network module (C3KX-NM-1G) to stack two 3750X Switch other than stacking cable?

Regards

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Do i need to order network module (C3KX-NM-1G) to stack two 3750X Switch other than stacking cable?

No.  The network module, in the -X series, it to allow differ uplink ports.

What you might need to order it a stacking cable of a longer length.  From Cisco, stacking cables come in three lengths.  Don't know if still true, but it used to be, I believe, that a 3750 would come standard with the shortest stacking cable which is long enough to go between nearby units when physically stacked vertically together.  In larger physically stacks, you would often need to order the longer cable to go between top and bottom stack units.

A bit off topic, but is anyone aware of issues running IOS 15 with the 3 meter cables?

I upgraded several 3750X stacks from 12.2(55)SE8 to 15.0(2)SE5, and one of the stacks failed to talk to each other following the upgrade.  It detected cables, but could not detect the other member.  Downgraded IOS and everything worked fine again.  The only difference between that stack and the others was 3M cables rather than the standard 50cm ones.

15.0(2)SE5

Avoid this IOS version at all cost.  Go with 15.0(2)SE4 instead.

Oh good lord what now?  I've been holding off on 15.0 for as long as possible, but wanted to do rolling upgrades.  I'd rather just stay on 12.2(55) than downgrade from the latest 15.0 release.

I hope not, were are planning to use 7M ones in an upcoming install

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card