Views
Helpful
Replies

3750X switch doesn't load image

gavin han
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've 3750X switch that isn't loading email. then I went to rommon mode and accidently for "format flash". after that I loaded 15.0 SE2 s/w on it using tftp server but it doesn't boot up with that image. any suggestions?...flash had only .bin file after I loaded it from tftp server.

since it wasn't booting up, I did format flash again and thought to load image again from tftp server but now, it doesn't load image from tftp server.

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

What is the message you are getting when trying to load the image from the TFTP server?

can you tell us what steps you take and at what point you get the error message?

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Now there are two ways to solve this issue:  The easy way or the hard way.

The hard-way is to follow Cisco's documentation and boot from ROMmon.

1.  set BAUD 115200 (this enables you to speed up the process from 4 hours to 50 minutes);

2.  Change your terminal baud rate to 115200;

3.  copy xmodem flash:

4.  UPLOAD option based on the terminal emulator software you are using.

5.  When done, undo the high-baud rate with the command "unset BAUD"

The easy-way.  The 3750E/3750X has a USB port.  This USB port can be used to enable the 3750X to boot a valid IOS from the USB port.

1.  NOT ALL USB STICKS ARE SUPPORTED;

2.  USB size up to 8Gb is possible;

3.  Format the USB stick with FAT16 before putting an IOS in it;

4.  Copy the BIN file into the USB stick;

5.  Command to boot the appliance from ROMmon using the USB stick:  boot usbflash0:filename.bin

Hope this works.

Thanks leolaohoo. In step 3, how would it find the IOS on my PC. i meant to say...I use Putty... so why doing command "copy xmodem flash:....where do I specify location of the .bin file on my PC?

gavin han wrote:

Thanks leolaohoo. In step 3, how would it find the IOS on my PC. i meant to say...I use Putty... so why doing command "copy xmodem flash:....where do I specify location of the .bin file on my PC?

As far as I know, PuTTY doesn't support sending files via X-Modem.

You'd need to use something which does - TerraTermPro is one example.

Cheers.

thanks. would only need .bin IOS file or would I need other files too? i.e. config.text etc.

I'm asking because...earlier I uploaded ios image through TFTP (using switch's management port) but switch wasn't able to boot up with the image. flash had only .bin file that I uploaded.

You only need the .bin file.

gavin han wrote:

thanks. would only need .bin IOS file or would I need other files too? i.e. config.text etc.

I'm asking because...earlier I uploaded ios image through TFTP (using switch's management port) but switch wasn't able to boot up with the image. flash had only .bin file that I uploaded.

You should only need the .bin file, but you may have to tweak the startup variables to get the device to boot from it properly (although, if it's the only option, the device *should* default to using it without doing this).

Cheers.

As what everyone else has posted, BIN file is what you need. 

In step 3, how would it find the IOS on my PC. i meant to say...I use Putty... so why doing command "copy xmodem flash:....where do I specify location of the .bin file on my PC?

Try using HyperTerm.  I haven't tried using PuTTY to do XModem transfer.

You can also use the command "copy xmodem flash:" and specify the file later when you do the transfer option.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card