Views
Helpful
Replies

3750x Switch upgrade question

Jagan1976
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Do you know why when upgrading a switch IOS via ftp, sometimes there is a folder created in the flash for the new firmware automatically, and sometimes dont.

I just transfered a .bin file to the new switch and noticed it was copied on the root folder of the flash. Reloaded the switch and all is ok.

However wondered why the older firmware resides in a folder.

Why is this so?

thanks.

This is what I mean:

Switch#dir
Directory of flash:/

2  -rwx        2741   Mar 1 1993 00:16:37 +00:00  config.text
    3 -rwx    14606784  Mar 14 1993 23:23:00 +00:00  c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE8.bin    ->>>>> New IOS
    4  -rwx        3096   Mar 1 1993 00:16:37 +00:00  multiple-fs
    5  -rwx        1934   Mar 1 1993 00:16:37 +00:00  private-config.text
    6  drwx         512   Mar 1 1993 00:07:09 +00:00  c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5 ->>>>> Old IOS

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you do the recommended upgrade process of "archive download-sw", the script will create a temporary folder called "update".  After the entire process is complete, the script will rename the "update" folder to what you always see.

If you do the upgrade of copying the BIN file to the appliance, no sub-directory is created.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you do the recommended upgrade process of "archive download-sw", the script will create a temporary folder called "update".  After the entire process is complete, the script will rename the "update" folder to what you always see.

If you do the upgrade of copying the BIN file to the appliance, no sub-directory is created.

Hi Leo!

Oh ok, so this is normal. Will there be any issue because I didn't use the archive download-sw method?

I just copied and changed the boot system command to change.

Will there be any issue because I didn't use the archive download-sw method?

Personally, I would always recommend the traditional method of "archive download-sw".  This is more evident when you are dealing with stacked switches.   Why?

Ok, let's presume you are using your method of copying BIN files.  Let's also presume you have a stack of six (6) switches in a stack which you want to upgrade the IOS.  Using your method, how many times do you have to issue the command of copying the BIN file to each member of the stack?  Six times.  Right?

If you use the "archive download-sw" you only use ONE line of command.  Yes, the entire command to upgrade the IOS is LONG but there's a few added features. 

1.  When you use the "archive download-sw", you can optionally enable the feature to change the boot variable string;

2.  The "archive download-sw" command will also tell you the result if, for example, something should go wrong with your attempt to push the IOS to your switch;

3.  Use a single line of command "archive download-sw /dest 1 /dest 2 /dest 3 /dest 4 /dest 5 /dest 6 tftp:/IOS.tar" to upgrade six members of the stack AND change the boot variable string. 

Understood. Thanks Leo!

I have done the copy command on a single new switch which is going to be a member of a stack of 5 soon.

I am upgrading the stack now and will use this command.

I am upgrading the stack now and will use this command.

Let us know if you have any issues. 

Hint:  When running the "archive download-sw /destination" command, pay close attention to the last few lines when the script ends.  This will give you a good indication if the upgrade process went well or not. 

Another thing, because this is a "full" process this means the script will un-pack a large number of files.  Don't be alarmed that an upgrade of 5 switches in a stack will take around 30-45 minutes.  This is normal.

Got it.

Whats the difference between using the

archive download-sw /dest 1 /dest 2 /dest 3 /dest 4 /dest 5 /force-reload /overwrite /safe tftp://11.11.11.11/xxxxx.tar

and just using

archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite /safe tftp://11.11.11.11/xxxxx.tar

archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite /safe tftp://11.11.11.11/xxxxx.tar

Good question.  Depends on the hardware.

With the command line above, you are telling a stack of 3750 switch to:

1.  Unpack the TAR file;

2.  When the process is complete, force a reload (whether you like it or not);

3.  Overwrite old IOS;

4.  Change the boot variable to reflect the new IOS; and

5.  Do this entire process only on the MASTER switch (because you didn't specify the destination, master switch is the default destination).

So, it doesn't matter whether the stack master is switch 4, this process will only run there. 

Notice I said "depends on the hardware".

With 2960S/2960X, you don't need to specify the destination.  If you want to upgrade the entire stack, the default destination is all members of the stack.  So you don't need to use the "/destination" command.

Can't comment on 3650 or 3850 because we don't have any.

archive download-sw /dest 1 /dest 2 /dest 3 /dest 4 /dest 5 /force-reload /overwrite /safe tftp://11.11.11.11/xxxxx.tar

1.  Unpack the TAR file;

2.  When the process is complete, force a reload (whether you like it or not);

3.  Overwrite old IOS;

4.  Change the boot variable to reflect the new IOS; and

5.  Do this process to switches 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Can't say anything about "/safe" as I've never used this before.

Ok, I read the Cisco guide on 3750 and they showed a sample of 2 switches without specifying the destination.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/64898-upgrade-3750-stack.html#sts2

Will try it out and let you know...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card