Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

3850 vs. 4500 10G Performance

I have been looking for performance numbers comparing the 3850 with the 4500 on 10G performance. I have heard some say the 10G performance of the 3850 is similar to that of the 4500. Any idea if there is over subscription on the 4 port 3850 interfaces?

Everyone's tags (1)
2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

I have heard some say the 10G

I have heard some say the 10G performance of the 3850 is similar to that of the 4500.

No one can answer this question unless more information is provided.  

1.  What is the EXACT chassis model?  ("4500" is not just enough as there are different backplane speed between different models.)

2.  What is the EXACT supervisor card?

Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I believe none of the 3850's ports are oversubscribed, including its 4x10g.  As Leo notes, 4500 oversubscription depends on actual device; chassis, line cards and supervisors vary.

However, oversubscription is just one factor in a device's performance.  There's also frame/packet forwarding performance (believe the 3850 is wirespeed, but again, you need to select specific 4500 components for their performance attributes), and there's buffering (suspect the 3850 might be worst than some 4500 ports), and there's other feature and architecture considerations that may impact performance.

Also with a 3850, when you stack units, you have a ring, but with a 4500 you have a fabric between line cards.  I.e. another performance consideration.

Views
Helpful
Replies