cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3com Switch Management VLAN1

mwdatacisco
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using a 3com 4200 switch connected to a Cisco 2621 router. I have VLAN subinterfaces that I created on the router, using VID's of 100, and 200. Those vlan's work with the 3com, however I need to allow VLAN1 for management purposes since the 3com will not allow an IP in any other vlan. I have created the subinterface on the router and tagged vlan1 to my trunk port on the 3com. It will not pass ip traffic. What is odd is that if I'm on the 3com switch and I ping the vlan 1 interface on the router, I see the proper ARP entry on the router for the 3com switch, however the ping will not pass. The only difference is that the subint on the cisco router states that "encapsulation dot1q 1 native" where my other interfaces have no "native" remark. Anything I'm missing here????

2 Replies 2

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

"native" encapsulation means no dot1Q tag. Can you remove the "native" and only configure "encapsulation dot1q 1" and check? Might be the 3com switch is also using the dot1Q tag in VLAN 1, which would explain the observed behaviour.

Regards, Martin

YOU ROCK! That fixed it. I had to create a fake vlan subint,make it native then reconfigure the vlan subint with vid of 1 and no native command. Thanks for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card