Helpful
Replies

4-Port EtherSwitch High-Speed WIC Interfaces

bernardwanyama
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Sorry if this has been answered before;

How many FastEthernet interfaces (routable with individual IPs) would I gain if I added the 4-port EtherSwitch onto a compatible router. I have a scenario where I need more Ethernet interfaces and I'm reluctant to use VLANs.

Rgds,

Bernard

4 Replies 4

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

AFAIK, you can try using "no switchport" and convert the 4 of them to routed interface, please check it out and feed us back.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Bernard,

4 port ESW does not support ip address on its physical interfaces. "no switchport" command may be available but will not be of any affect.

The only option is to have l3 interface using vlans and binding ports to vlans or upgrade to 16ESW.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi Ankur,

Thanks for the reply.

Does this mean that I can put say 3 physical uplinks in it, assign them to 3 different VLANs and do all the VLAN routing and switching in there without the need for an extra router and switch?

Kind regards,

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

Yes you got it right!! You can assign any of the physical interfaces to access vlan or you can also configure them as trunk ports.

Then you can create logical interfaces for those vlans and configure them with ip address which will let you achive routing between vlans. You do not need any extra switch or router for inter vlan routing.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card