cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4000 and 4500 Series Switches support the same line cards?

nickhesson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

This may be a stupid question. But does both 4003, 4006 and all 4500 series switches support the same line cards? Mainly asking about the ethernet line cards. Does the 4003 and 4006 support all the POE line cards (like WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V)? Does all the 4000/4500 series line cards support both CATOS and IOS? Because I see that the 4000 series only supports up to sup-IV. Is that right?

Thanks for your time and help.

Nick

8 Replies 8

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nick,

Not sure of the latest line cards but yes mostly all line cards are supported by both 4500 and 4000 series chassis.

Basically most of the line cards are supervisor enagine and release specific and not chassis specific. Cat4000 series does support WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V with minimum CATOS release 8.3(1)GLX and the recommended code is 8.4(7)GLX.

Now only sup 1 and sup 2 supports CATOS and all above sups like sup2+,sup 3,4 and 5 only supports IOS so those line cards which need minimum sup2+ will not work with CATOS.

You can have a look at this link which will tell you which sup engines are supported by which chassis

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/hardware/module/guide/01overvw.html

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V with minimum CATOS release 8.3(1)GLX and the recommended code is 8.4(7)GLX.

Were can I find this out? I have another Cisco Tech. rep. telling me that is card is only supported in IOS 12.1 or higher.

Were can found this information.

Thanks,

Nick

sorry for the repeat. my pc sucks

WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V with minimum CATOS release 8.3(1)GLX and the recommended code is 8.4(7)GLX.

Were can I find this out? I have another Cisco Tech. rep. telling me that is card is only supported in IOS 12.1 or higher.

Were can found this information.

Thanks,

Nick

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

A couple of extra points:

1. If you put a PoE line card in a 4003 or 4006 chassis it will work, but it won't give you PoE.

2. The Sup1 card from the 4003 will not work in any other chassis than the 4003. Also the 4003 chassis will not take any other Supervisor card.

3. The Sup2+ will work OK in a 4006 chassis.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

1. If you put a PoE line card in a 4003 or 4006 chassis it will work, but it won't give you PoE.

Why not? POE is not support in the 4006 chassis?

3. The Sup2+ will work OK in a 4006 chassis.

What does this mean? OK? Because the 4006 will take up to sup-v.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Cat4006 chassis supports inline power with external PEM modules. All the Cat4506 chassis supports inline power with power supplies. No external PEMs are required for those chassis types.

4006 chassis requires an external Power Entry Module to supply inline power. 4003 is a non-inline power chassis and even when you have Line Cards that support ILP in 4003 chassis , they work as Data cards and cannot supply inline power.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

1. The power supplies in the old 4006 were not designed to give the PoE.

3. Precisely that. I have an old 4006 chassis that I pulled a CatOS Sup2 from (because of hardware bugs), and replaced it with an IOS Sup2+, and the switch works OK. Even though the chassis was not originally desighned to take the Sup2.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card