Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

40G ports on nexus 5k

hi all ,

in datasheet of nexus 5k, below is written

Four port QSFP Ethernet module that provides 4 40 Gigabit Ethernet ports using QSFP interface. Each QSFP 40GE port can only work in 4x10G mode and supports DCB and FCoE.

does it mean we cant use 40G ports by themselves, is it necassary to convert them to 10g ?

5 REPLIES
Community Member

To restate this question more

To restate this question more specifically, I would like to connect a QSFP-40G-SR-BD module to a SFP-10G-SR at 10G speed.  Is that possible?

VIP Super Bronze

Yes, it is.  To convert from

Yes, it is.  To convert from one 40Gig to multiple 10Gig, you need a breakout cable.

see figure-21 in this link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/white-paper-c11-729384.pdf

HTH

Community Member

Or use a "CVR-QSFP-SFP10G"

Or use a "CVR-QSFP-SFP10G"  QSFP to SFP+ converter module?  Then put the SFP-10G-SR into that module.  That should convert the QSFP 40Gb port to an SFP+ 10Gb port.  Correct?

VIP Super Bronze

That is correct.  I have

That is correct.  I have personally never used CVR-QSFP-SFP10G adapter.

VIP Super Bronze

John,I could be wrong, but I

John,

I could be wrong, but I think the what the statement is trying to say is if you want to use the 40Gig interfaces as FCoE ports, they have to be broken in 10gig ports.  But if you want to use them as regular Ethernet ports you should be able to use them as 40Gig.

Maybe you can verify that with your Cisco sales engineer.

HTH

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content