Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 and 6500 power supply related questions

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear friends,

I have a 4510-R-E switch with two 4200W power supplies operating in redundant mode.

Each 4200W power supply has two AC inputs.

Looking at the docs, i see that "each power supply operates at 50% capacity and provides

the same total power as a single power supply – if one fails, the backup reverts to

providing 100% power".

So, if i have two power sources viz. UPS A and UPS B. How should i connect power to the switches?

1. Power Supply 1

AC Input 1 - UPS A

AC Input 2 - UPS B

2. Power Supply 2

AC Input 1 - UPS A

AC Input 2 - UPS B

(OR)

1. Power Supply 1

AC Input 1 - UPS A

AC Input 2 - UPS A

2. Power Supply 2

AC Input 1 - UPS B

AC Input 2 - UPS B

Also for the 6500 with 6000W (2 AC inputs) , can you tell me if i should connect the same way?

I know that power supply failure will not be a problem. My concern is that if UPS A fails, then the power supplies should still continue to run at their rated capacity and not at half the capacity.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gautam,

I would do the same for 4500 if you have multiple outputs for each power supply.

Good Luck

Reza

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Gautam,

We use 6500 with 6000W power supply and connect them just like your 1st option.  It works well.

HTH

Reza

Dear Reza,

Thanks a lot. So you mean that you connect the AC inputs of each power supply to different sources and it works fine for you

Yes, each inputs of each power supply to different power sources

HTH

Reza

Thanks a lot Reza. What about 4500? Should we follow the same approach for 4500 as for the 6500.

Gautam,

I would do the same for 4500 if you have multiple outputs for each power supply.

Good Luck

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card