cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 and intervlan routing

IgorHamzic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.I have a Cisco 4500 in a company with the Cisco IOS BASIC L3 image on it and I was thinking of doing intervlan routing using RIPv2.

I was wondering if the network grows(in the numbers of VLANs etc.) will it be OK to leave the intervlan routing up to RIPv2 or should I switch to another image that supports other routing protocols like EIGRP and do the intervlan using more advanced routing protocols.Any and all advice is appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Since its only 1 routing device now, you don't need a dynamic routing protocol, in the case you are adding few routers in the future, with 5 VLANs growth within a year, i guess RIP will do the job for you, however if you wish you can go for EIGRP in the far future.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

How many Routers/L3 Switches are involved in the network, and what is your expected VLAN growth ?

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Right now there is only the Cisco 4500 at the location behind an ASA and the expected growth is another 5 VLAN's within a year.

A few routers will probably be added in the future.

Hi,

Since its only 1 routing device now, you don't need a dynamic routing protocol, in the case you are adding few routers in the future, with 5 VLANs growth within a year, i guess RIP will do the job for you, however if you wish you can go for EIGRP in the far future.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks for the advice it really helped me.

Igor,

You are very welcomed, please do come back if you have more questions.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card