cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500-E series .. is it nearing end of life?

Is there a way to find out when Cisco may be planning to obsolete the 4500-E series switches? Or alternately, is there a way to get assurance from Cisco that they aren't planning to make it end of life for X number of years yet?

It concerns me to see ominous signs like the high performance "Supervisor Engine 6-E" for the chassis going obsolete. How long until the whole E-series chassis line goes obsolete too?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/eol__C51-726869.html

Also, I do not know how to tell what products are Cisco's newest and therefore with the longest life yet to come.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In regards to the "-E" chassis, bear in mind that the "R+E" chassis have been available for some time now.  So expect the EoS announcement any time.  

In regards to the Sup6E, the replacement is the Sup7E and the Sup8E (both have the same price).  Same as before, expect EoS anytime.  

adawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, dmahlko1.

There is no available reference yet on when will the whole 4500-E go EoL. However, once a part number gets announced as EoL, there is usually 4-6 years (varies by device/solution) before it losses all support or becomes completely obsolete. Are you looking for a replacement/current model for your existing?

Let me know if you have other concerns or e-mail (adawa@cisco.com) me directly. Kind regards. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card