Cisco Support Community
Community Member

4500 SUP ports confusion

Hi all,

I was reading the installation guide for 4500E switches and found this

Supervisor Ports Do Not Function

If you have dual supervisor engines in a Catalyst 4507R-E o r a Catalyst 4510R-E chassis andsome uplink

ports on the supervisor do not function, the system is functioning as designed, which is to have two

uplinks operational at all times. The dual uplinks must also work when only one supervisor engine is

present. This means that if only one supervisor engine is present and is in slot n, b oth ports n /1 and n/2

are functional. Also, if only one supervis or engine is present and is in slot n +1 , ports n+1/1 and N+1/2

are functional. When dual supervisor engines  are present, only ports n/1 and n+1/1 are functional and

n/2 andn+1/2 are not functional. For more information, refer to the redundancy chapter in the software

configuration guide.

Now what is confusing me is

1) if i have 4503/4506E with SUP 7-E, how many ports will be active ? 4 or 2 ?

Community Member

4500 SUP ports confusion

I have checked this configuration guide

But its only referring to SUP-7LE and 7E, why is that so :-( ???

Community Member

4500 SUP ports confusion

Anyone pls ?

Any guidance ?

Community Member

4500 SUP ports confusion

I think you will only get 2 on each Sup working as far as looking at mine goes, I have 2 on each SUP active.

Super Bronze

Re: 4500 SUP ports confusion

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Sup7 architecture is different from earlier sups, especially sup5 and earlier.  So, it's not really surprising there may be some operational differences, such as how sup ports work, or not, in a dual sup setup.

CreatePlease to create content